Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Mock Drafts by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:32:42 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 04:41:17 PM]

2024-25 Roster by DFW HOYA
[Today at 03:15:39 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 02:56:18 PM]

Media Rights Update by WhiteTrash
[Today at 12:32:13 PM]

Marquette Challenge announced by GoFastAndWin
[June 25, 2024, 10:25:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I love who he is as a person; I love his story  (Read 5373 times)

mhendrick

• Starter
I love who he is as a person; I love his story
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
Buzz's words when discussing guys like Blue, Locket, O'tule. Not once have I ever heard him say it about Gardner or Mayo.
The upperclassmen of the team, the me first bad attitude guys who I don't think Buzz really likes on his team. Bad attitude spreads like a cancer and underclassmen listen and mirror upperclassmen. Could be why Buzz is losing this team. Just an outsiders perspective but it does not seam that the players are buying into what the coach is selling. He does not have a strong senior leader on this team who has his back and shows the younger guys how to work and go about there business
the right way. Probably started with the Blue argument about money. Seriously hope it does not lead to the transfers of Johnson, Taylor, and Dawson. All seam very talented and with an attitude change on the team next year could be very helpful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: I love who he is as a person; I love his story
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »
Buzz's words when discussing guys like Blue, Locket, O'tule. Not once have I ever heard him say it about Gardner or Mayo.
The upperclassmen of the team, the me first bad attitude guys who I don't think Buzz really likes on his team. Bad attitude spreads like a cancer and underclassmen listen and mirror upperclassmen. Could be why Buzz is losing this team. Just an outsiders perspective but it does not seam that the players are buying into what the coach is selling. He does not have a strong senior leader on this team who has his back and shows the younger guys how to work and go about there business
the right way. Probably started with the Blue argument about money. Seriously hope it does not lead to the transfers of Johnson, Taylor, and Dawson. All seam very talented and with an attitude change on the team next year could be very helpful.

Do you have anything specific to support your feeling that there are "me first bad attitude guys" among the upperclassman?  "Blue argument about money"  I assume that you're referring to the reported fight in the weight room about who would make more this year.  Do you believe that that really happened?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »

I think you overstate the situation.  But no doubt more leadership from the Seniors would be helpful.  And some of you wonder why Jake plays?  Or why Buzz said the biggest play of the game was Jamil's dive out of bounds?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
Gardner carries the team and Buzzspeak disses him by saying he should not have started him. People need to start waking up to this guy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »
nothing to support, but I have never heard Buzz speak glowingly about either Gardner or Mayo.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 06:37:18 PM »
Gardner carries the team and Buzzspeak disses him by saying he should not have started him. People need to start waking up to this guy.
Buzzspeak.......slurping....Buzzspeak....slurping.

Willie you used to have at least a little more---now you are just a whiny little beoch.

Do us all a favor and stop watching MUBB so we dont have to listen to you rant no matter whatever happens.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »

I am really curious about what you would expect to see once we have woken up to this guy.  Would we rant about how poorly he  recruits and call it inexcusable, but back away from taking any action against Buzz for his "inexcusable" results?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

connie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »
No, we need to remember to hit the "ignore" button.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »

It will take far more than a couple of frustrating months to merit the last sentence.  Though I will admit, I facepalmed when he dismissed Gardner being the obvious reason we won with nine baskets and 10-11 free throws in six trips to the line and instead preferred to gush about Jamil smashing into the seats as if it was somehow worth 25 points.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »
That might be more Buzz trying to motivate Jamil and others to put more hustle into the game

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »

How is Buzz losing this team exactly?  Have players come out against him?  Has fights broken out?  No. The team is having a down year with players not stepping up.  All of the sudden players all want out and it is because Buzz doesn't like them. What a bunch of bull?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »
It will take far more than a couple of frustrating months to merit the last sentence.  Though I will admit, I facepalmed when he dismissed Gardner being the obvious reason we won with nine baskets and 10-11 free throws in six trips to the line and instead preferred to gush about Jamil smashing into the seats as if it was somehow worth 25 points.

Both guys-Jamil and DG-are seniors.  This is the fourth go around for Buzz with both.  Maybe, Buzz thinks that Jamil's biggest problem is a lack of intensity, and he's never going to miss any opportunity to gush about it and thereby reinforce it whenever he sees it from Jamil.  Maybe, Buzz thinks that DG's biggest problem is complacency, and he's not going to go overboard with praise when DG has a great game and chance contributing to his complacency.  Buzz's record has been fantastic, he's had these guys long enough to get to know them, and he sees them virtually every day.  I going to trust him to know which buttons to push.  Your facepalm was just collateral damage.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »

His name is Chris Otule. And please watch the underclass men on the bench. They're having a blast.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »
Both guys-Jamil and DG-are seniors.  This is the fourth go around for Buzz with both.  Maybe, Buzz thinks that Jamil's biggest problem is a lack of intensity, and he's never going to miss any opportunity to gush about it and thereby reinforce it whenever he sees it from Jamil.  Maybe, Buzz thinks that DG's biggest problem is complacency, and he's not going to go overboard with praise when DG has a great game and chance contributing to his complacency.  Buzz's record has been fantastic, he's had these guys long enough to get to know them, and he sees them virtually every day.  I going to trust him to know which buttons to push.  Your facepalm was just collateral damage.

For a post-game interview on a radio station, I'd pray he's not overthinking it this much.  If he is, he's playing an awful lot of mind games and I'd hope he would go back to his more effective straight-shooting self that has been so effective in the past.

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »
when Buzz says this he is not talking about the player, he is refering to the person. My comment does not refer to the games but to the players character. Has nothing to do with how they play or the numbers in the box score. I see Buzz as a high character guy with a blue collar work ethic and I just do not believe that is the way he see's Gardner and Mayo. Otherwise he would have said so repeatedly. "I love who he is as a person, I love his story".

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
For a post-game interview on a radio station, I'd pray he's not overthinking it this much.  If he is, he's playing an awful lot of mind games and I'd hope he would go back to his more effective straight-shooting self that has been so effective in the past.

From the post game interview.  Pretty much debunks this thread

[Davante] is starting to figure it out…he is turning…a little ground swell...he needs to continue to become more consistent….he has Lazar Hayward like instincts…[anticipates]what is happening next…I think he is a really good player…15 min a game…3rd most efficient players we coached here…. The first 2 are pros…and so are 4 and 5…

I told Davante that he will end up being the best player I have ever coached. I believe in people, not talent….Deonte is talent…bright…vocabulary ahead….if we can keep the right voices in his head…he is  realizing mistakes…admit them…allows you to be coached….

Earlier he says how much he loves Davante's parents.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:27:57 PM by BallBoy »

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
FWIW...in post game presser, DG stated that he's been slacking off in practice.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 07:55:40 PM »
What in the hell is "Buzzspeak"?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
What in the hell is "Buzzspeak"?

It's a term used in wee willie speak for... well, God knows what.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »
Buzzspeak.......slurping....Buzzspeak....slurping.

Willie you used to have at least a little more---now you are just a whiny little beoch.

Do us all a favor and stop watching MUBB so we dont have to listen to you rant no matter whatever happens.
Nobody said you have listen, but you still do--beoooch!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 07:41:19 AM »
Not any longer--hello ignore.  Ill check back in a few weeks a see if you have changed at all.  I'm certainly not expecting much.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »
my gut instinct is that buzz doesn't necessarily love this team either...they are soft.  it's been the knock on many of these guys since (and before) they stepped on campus.  can't rely on mayo (multiple suspensions)...can't rely on DG (by his own admission and buzz's)...can't rely on chris (injuries through no fault of his own)...can't rely on jamil wilson (doesn't bring it every game let alone every possession).  a jimmy, jae, djo, wesley, etc. would do amazing things for this team from a leadership standpoint...yet i think had junior red-shirted they'd be a top 25 team right now.  it's impossible to do anything in college bball without a point guard.  mu ran more set plays against depaul then they ran all of last season. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Buzz gave a pretty heartfelt press conference answer when talking about Mayo after an NCAA tournament win. I want to say it was against Murray State.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
my gut instinct is that buzz doesn't necessarily love this team either...

I believe there is something to this. I don't love this team. Was the overriding feeling I had watching the game, particularly the bench, yesterday. I just dont see it as a group that is particularly serious about being good. My feeling the past several years is that MU had an attitude of just go out and play until we win. I do not get a sense of anywhere near that same level of relentlessness from these guys. You see it from certain guys some of the time, but collectively I don't think they have a meaningful appreciation for what it takes to win the way Blue, Cadougan, Crowder, etc. did.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
It's a term used in wee willie speak for... well, God knows what.
Listen to him for a while--he gives out more BS without answers--kind of like a congressman.