[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who Is MU's Biggest Rival?

UW
92 (61.7%)
Depaul
9 (6%)
Notre Dame
33 (22.1%)
Lousiville
12 (8.1%)
UWM
3 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Who Is MU's Biggest Rival?  (Read 8415 times)

LloydMooresLegs

Re: Who Is MU's Biggest Rival?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
If ND was on this year's schedule or there was a plan in place to put them back on the schedule, it wouldn't be close for me--ND.  

DePaul has sucked for too long.

UWM is taken as the joke intended.

By default it is Bucky--it didn't feel that way in the 80's, but it does now.

Interesting to see the teams being added by Heisenberg and others.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »
Anyone else find it interesting that based on the numbers given the top three "rivals" as voted dominate Marquette in the all time match-ups?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
Larry Williams!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »
Anyone else find it interesting that based on the numbers given the top three "rivals" as voted dominate Marquette in the all time match-ups?

I don't know if I would say dominated with UW-madison.  It's 46.2% to 53.8%. 

The other ones are far more pronounced...only 32% of the ND games won.  38.8% of the Louisville games. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
I agree that UW and ND are the two leaders by a long shot but if Depaul was still good I'd have them right there with those two.  In fact when Depaul isn't good and beats us (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-eYsrLOdY) for that split instant I'm more upset than when UW or ND beats us. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »
ND

And it's very disappointing that we're not playing them this year and every year.  Major failure by MU athletics dept.  I'd rather have a regular rivalry non conference game with ND than with a powerhouse like Ohio State.  It's more fun, and it cements the bond (or lack of ) between the universities and fan base. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 08:14:12 PM »
ND

And it's very disappointing that we're not playing them this year and every year.  Major failure by MU athletics dept.  I'd rather have a regular rivalry non conference game with ND than with a powerhouse like Ohio State.  It's more fun, and it cements the bond (or lack of ) between the universities and fan base. 

Not MUs fault ... ND has to commit

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »
With ND and Louisville off the schedule, it has to be Wisconsin. Whether they admit it or not, we were their biggest rival before and after the reconstruction of the Big East. They may want it to be MSU, Michigan, or Ohio State, but those three are a lot more obsessed with each other than they are UW. A rivalry has to go both ways. Wisconsin is #1, though ND is right there if we renew the series.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
With ND and Louisville off the schedule, it has to be Wisconsin. Whether they admit it or not, we were their biggest rival before and after the reconstruction of the Big East. They may want it to be MSU, Michigan, or Ohio State, but those three are a lot more obsessed with each other than they are UW. A rivalry has to go both ways. Wisconsin is #1, though ND is right there if we renew the series.

This is spot on from both sides.  The only people on their side trying to claim MU is not a rival are internet d-bags with an agenda...

Im too lazy to go look but Im pretty sure there are quotes stating how big the rivalry is from former UW players.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »
Well DePaul is the only school on the list that is still in our conference and they've been pretty bad.  If ND was still in our conference I would have said them, possibly the same for Louisville.  But out of these choices I have to say UW (which I hate because they think we are obsessed with them).

I consider Georgetown and Villanova to be pretty good rivalries for us despite the geographic separation.  We've had some great games with both those teams.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »
ND

Obviously, you don't know what's going on there.  ND has axed the series for the foreseeable future.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »

However, we as fans of MU might have felt about Louisville, I'm sure that their fans would giggle at the thought that we were rivals.  The team that they love to hate and that they feel on the same level as is Kentucky.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Obviously, you don't know what's going on there.  ND has axed the series for the foreseeable future.

But that's not public knowledge. There's been no official word from the South Bend athletic department. It's simply the truth based on a narrative built here from the words of three people who are closer to the inside track than the casual fan.

Right?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
But that's not public knowledge. There's been no official word from the South Bend athletic department. It's simply the truth based on a narrative built here from the words of three people who are closer to the inside track than the casual fan.

Right?

Yet, far more likely than the statement that the series wasn't continued due to a "Major failure by MU athletics dept."

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
This is spot on from both sides.  The only people on their side trying to claim MU is not a rival are internet d-bags with an agenda...

Im too lazy to go look but Im pretty sure there are quotes stating how big the rivalry is from former UW players.

Funny, it's probably the internet dbags who hate us the most.  The looks of hatred and the early exit of Vadger fans when we beat them at the KohlHole 2 years ago tells me all I need to know....It's a rivlary.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
A rivalry is only a "rivalry" if the opposing team consider us as so. Therefore, I would say Wisconsin and maybe Depaul.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »
However, we as fans of MU might have felt about Louisville, I'm sure that their fans would giggle at the thought that we were rivals.  The team that they love to hate and that they feel on the same level as is Kentucky.

Not if they pay attention.  I'm sure Louisville fans would rather beat Kentucky than Marquette, but there's no question that they have been one of our top rivals over the past 15 years.  Part of what makes a rivalry great is memorable games and there are just a ton of them in this series.  Card Chronicle did a great job compiling a list of the best games between these teams.  I'll never forget the game Wade had at Louisville to bring us all the way back from 19 down to win and completely dominated Reece Gaines, or the Jerry Smith shot to beat us, or the time they came back from 18 down with 5:36 to play and I literally could not talk about it for two weeks.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/1/16/2710357/ten-most-memorable-louisville-vs-marquette-games-rivalry-cardinals-knowles-jerry-smith

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
A rivalry is only a "rivalry" if the opposing team consider us as so. Therefore, I would say Wisconsin and maybe Depaul.

This is correct, and also why the BS meter goes off on the UW-madison board.  MSU doesn't consider UW-madison a rival, neither does OSU, or Michigan or IU.  I'm sure UW-madison believes those teams are rivals, but there is no reciprocation. 

So when I hear the nonsense in the endless threads and posts screaming how MU isn't a rival, it is always a rather humorous affair.  It takes two to tango for a rivalry to matter.  UW-milwaukee fans think MU is a rivalry, it is not a rivalry in reality.  It may be couched that way, but not really.

I'd still go UW-madison, Notre Dame, DePaul and hopefully some new ones to be created moving forward.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »
One thing I like about the new conference is that Xavier, Butler and Creighton are all well positioned to be new rivals.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
I think going forward the most likely one is Xavier, I don't understand the idea that Creighton is most likely to be our rival.  We've had a couple great games recently against X (Old Spice Classic and ending their Sweet 16 streak) and recently our profiles in terms of success have been similar.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
I think going forward the most likely one is Xavier, I don't understand the idea that Creighton is most likely to be our rival.  We've had a couple great games recently against X (Old Spice Classic and ending their Sweet 16 streak) and recently our profiles in terms of success have been similar.

Agreed.  Xavier seems to have a chippiness (case in point: recent Cincy-X games) to their style too which usually adds to the rivalry.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »

From Creighton's perspective, I'm sure they will definitely look to us as a top rival, given that we are the closest in proximity to them.  And, since both teams are (were?) supposed to be pretty competitive this year, could be some great games off the bat to spark a rivalry. 

We might not end up feeling quite as strong about it as them, given some pre-existing/potential rivalries (G'town/Nova from old BE, X and Butler among newbies, given recent history).  But, my guess is that a couple of tough, chippy games this year, and that could shift quickly.  In old BE, I felt like both Pitt and 'cuse ended up becoming pretty good rivalries in just a few years time based on a couple of close/good games against them, even though I wouldn't have predicted that going in. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
One thing I like about the new conference is that Xavier, Butler and Creighton are all well positioned to be new rivals.

Here is the history with these schools

Creighton

Total Games = 76
First Game = 1923
Last Game = March 11, 1998
Series record = 48 (MU) 28 (Creighton)

Xavier
Total Games = 61
First Game = 1923
Last Game = March 18, 2011
Series record = 45 (MU) 16 (Xavier)

Butler
Total Games = 29
First Game = 1922
Last Game = March 23, 2013
Series record = 15 (MU) 14 (Butler)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
From Creighton's perspective, I'm sure they will definitely look to us as a top rival, given that we are the closest in proximity to them.  And, since both teams are (were?) supposed to be pretty competitive this year, could be some great games off the bat to spark a rivalry. 

We might not end up feeling quite as strong about it as them, given some pre-existing/potential rivalries (G'town/Nova from old BE, X and Butler among newbies, given recent history).  But, my guess is that a couple of tough, chippy games this year, and that could shift quickly.  In old BE, I felt like both Pitt and 'cuse ended up becoming pretty good rivalries in just a few years time based on a couple of close/good games against them, even though I wouldn't have predicted that going in. 

Well I was just referring to how Creighton's program is positioned going forward post gibbs and mcdermott.  I just don't see them staying at the level necessary to remain a big rival while I can see that with X.  Also I'm pretty sure Depaul is closer in proximity to Creighton. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 02:02:18 AM »

You're right, it just sucks to admit it, both because we've lost the ND series and because it legitimatizes the crap that passes for basketball in Madison.  Rivalry games are supposed to be exciting, 89-86 victories, not snoozers where you can catch a 10 minute nap between baskets. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."