[Today at 12:33:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Billy Hoyle
[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is Satchel Pierce?  (Read 98975 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Who is Satchel Pierce?
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2013, 01:27:19 PM »
OK, I might see it now.

Murs, when you get this far down, if that was the case, my bad.  I don't go off often.

Back on track, my friend heard it on the PITT board and stated he moved commitment date to Weds. and the feeling is a Miami lean now after his visit.  Speculation only.

As far as I can tell, your friend is getting bad information. On Friday, Pierce said it was between Pitt, Miami, and Marquette. He has already said that he is visiting Marquette this upcoming weekend (Nov. 1-2) and Buzz has visited him in Pittsburgh at least 3 times. A couple weeks ago, then just before and just after the Pitt visit (twice in 4-5 days). The last big man Buzz put this much effort into that I recall was Joel Embiid.

Pierce has stated he wants to sign in the early period. He'll likely get home from Marquette on November 3rd, and the early signing period is November 13th-20th. Looking at all the info out there, I think he'll probably announce during that 10 day stretch between the MU visit and the start of the early signing period. Don't be surprised to see Buzz make another trip or two to Pittsburgh in the next 2 weeks to see Pierce before the decision.

Personal opinion...Pierce is going to pick Marquette. Corey Evans called MU early in the process, and he's well tied in to the Pittsburgh recruiting scene. Buzz has put a lot of effort in, and while he did the same for Embiid, there's no Kansas in the recruiting process and none of the other...erm...complications that we saw a year ago. As soon as Pierce got out of Pitt without a commit, I had a good feeling, similar to the way it felt when Namon Wright picked Missouri, effectively squeezing out the spot Ahmed Hill seemed most likely to fill.

Of course, I also had a good feeling about Embiid...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »
As far as I can tell, your friend is getting bad information. On Friday, Pierce said it was between Pitt, Miami, and Marquette. He has already said that he is visiting Marquette this upcoming weekend (Nov. 1-2) and Buzz has visited him in Pittsburgh at least 3 times. A couple weeks ago, then just before and just after the Pitt visit (twice in 4-5 days). The last big man Buzz put this much effort into that I recall was Joel Embiid.

Pierce has stated he wants to sign in the early period. He'll likely get home from Marquette on November 3rd, and the early signing period is November 13th-20th. Looking at all the info out there, I think he'll probably announce during that 10 day stretch between the MU visit and the start of the early signing period. Don't be surprised to see Buzz make another trip or two to Pittsburgh in the next 2 weeks to see Pierce before the decision.

Personal opinion...Pierce is going to pick Marquette. Corey Evans called MU early in the process, and he's well tied in to the Pittsburgh recruiting scene. Buzz has put a lot of effort in, and while he did the same for Embiid, there's no Kansas in the recruiting process and none of the other...erm...complications that we saw a year ago. As soon as Pierce got out of Pitt without a commit, I had a good feeling, similar to the way it felt when Namon Wright picked Missouri, effectively squeezing out the spot Ahmed Hill seemed most likely to fill.

Of course, I also had a good feeling about Embiid...

It's good to know Buzz is working so hard to get these guys.  Of course he wants to keep bringing in talent, but to visit a recruit so much shows he is dedicated to getting guys he believes in.  Pierce has a great opportunity to play a lot at MU for all four years, assuming he commits and stays.  Hopefully Pierce and his family value Buzz's honesty, hard work and his character.  

Do you think Yates is a backup plan to Satchel committing elsewhere, or might he be willing to take them both?  Would Yates be a 3 or 4 year player?  Also, how close were we on Embiid?  I didn't follow as closely then but it seems like we were maybe number 4 or 5 on his list after he chose Kansas.  

NYeagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
I think there is no question that Buzz wants both, in a very similar capacity to Oxtule, even if it means an over signing situation with Malek Harris still coming on board.
Passt auf! Die NYeagle fliegt.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Here's the info from the PITT premium board, have no knowledge who the writer is, veracity, etc...., just posting for FYI:

"Satchel has moved his decision date up and will make a commitment within the next few days. He just told me that he will have a decision by Wednesday. That means he will not be visiting Marquette, but that does not mean they are out. He is having a great visit in Miami and his relationship with Marquette is very strong. Strong enough that he does not even need to visit.

I don't think this one is going Pitt's way."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
It's good to know Buzz is working so hard to get these guys.  Of course he wants to keep bringing in talent, but to visit a recruit so much shows he is dedicated to getting guys he believes in.  Pierce has a great opportunity to play a lot at MU for all four years, assuming he commits and stays.  Hopefully Pierce and his family value Buzz's honesty, hard work and his character.  

Do you think Yates is a backup plan to Satchel committing elsewhere, or might he be willing to take them both?  Would Yates be a 3 or 4 year player?  Also, how close were we on Embiid?  I didn't follow as closely then but it seems like we were maybe number 4 or 5 on his list after he chose Kansas.  

I'm not sure if Yates would be a backup plan to Satchel or more a replacement for McKay, whose scholarship is now open. Seems like Pierce is the top priority right now, but I was expecting 2 more commits even before the combination of Harris' situation and McKay's departure. Now it seems a certainty. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Buzz took two commits and stayed open to the option of a mid-season transfer (since McKay left that slot will be open) or looked at a possible 5th year big man transfer next year (Alex Kirk...the grass is greener in Milwaukee, mainly because there's no grass in the New Mexico desert). Those last two are just guesses, but I really think the loss of McKay may lead to us looking for someone with more experience up front. Could also be a JUCO. As of right now, Steve Taylor projects as our starting center for 2014-15. I love Steve, but I don't think that's the role the staff wants him in.

As far as Embiid...closer than most people on here would probably believe.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
Here's the info from the PITT premium board, have no knowledge who the writer is, veracity, etc...., just posting for FYI:

"Satchel has moved his decision date up and will make a commitment within the next few days. He just told me that he will have a decision by Wednesday. That means he will not be visiting Marquette, but that does not mean they are out. He is having a great visit in Miami and his relationship with Marquette is very strong. Strong enough that he does not even need to visit.

I don't think this one is going Pitt's way."

That sounds pretty good on our end if true.  Perhaps the other visits were to see if anything would change his mind from MU if he was really leaning toward us.  And thanks for the tidbits of info brew.  It would make sense for a big man transfer to fill McKay's spot and make sure the classes aren't too lop-sided.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
I'm not sure if Yates would be a backup plan to Satchel or more a replacement for McKay, whose scholarship is now open. Seems like Pierce is the top priority right now, but I was expecting 2 more commits even before the combination of Harris' situation and McKay's departure. Now it seems a certainty. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Buzz took two commits and stayed open to the option of a mid-season transfer (since McKay left that slot will be open) or looked at a possible 5th year big man transfer next year (Alex Kirk...the grass is greener in Milwaukee, mainly because there's no grass in the New Mexico desert). Those last two are just guesses, but I really think the loss of McKay may lead to us looking for someone with more experience up front. Could also be a JUCO. As of right now, Steve Taylor projects as our starting center for 2014-15. I love Steve, but I don't think that's the role the staff wants him in.

Can't get a mid-season transfer as MU used its 13 scholies which are one year in term.  McKay simply burned that scholie for MU.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
Can't get a mid-season transfer as MU used its 13 scholies which are one year in term.  McKay simply burned that scholie for MU.

Is this for sure? Can anyone confirm this with certainty?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
Yes it's true

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
I do not know, but it would seem logical that if McKay left school the scholarship would open up. Even with a scholarship the chance of a good mid-season transfer is so remote, i would not be expecting one.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2013, 06:44:57 PM »
That sounds pretty good on our end if true.  Perhaps the other visits were to see if anything would change his mind from MU if he was really leaning toward us.  And thanks for the tidbits of info brew.  It would make sense for a big man transfer to fill McKay's spot and make sure the classes aren't too lop-sided.
I think if he commits on Wednesday it is to Miami. Why would you make such a major decision so close to signing day without visiting. Players have committed to MU before visiting, but generally they still visited before signing day.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
I think if he commits on Wednesday it is to Miami. Why would you make such a major decision so close to signing day without visiting. Players have committed to MU before visiting, but generally they still visited before signing day.

Agreed. If the Pitt board is correct, then why would Pierce not take the time to visit? I suppose it is possible that he is so excited about Marquette that he doesn't even need to visit and the other visit were just to make sure.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
I do not know, but it would seem logical that if McKay left school the scholarship would open up. Even with a scholarship the chance of a good mid-season transfer is so remote, i would not be expecting one.
As posted, scholies are for a year....just the way it is.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
Corey Evans, who has been the most vocal writer on the Pierce recruitment, said today both that he didn't know of any plan to move up the announcement date and that he still expects Pierce to commit to Marquette after his visit this upcoming weekend.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
Thx Brew for the real news.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
Corey Evans, who has been the most vocal writer on the Pierce recruitment, said today both that he didn't know of any plan to move up the announcement date and that he still expects Pierce to commit to Marquette after his visit this upcoming weekend.

Corey Evans is 21 of 26 in accurate predictions. He's very good. He did miss on Ben Lammers. Predicted us, but Georgia Tech got him.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »
OK, I might see it now.

Murs, when you get this far down, if that was the case, my bad.  I don't go off often.

Back on track, my friend heard it on the PITT board and stated he moved commitment date to Weds. and the feeling is a Miami lean now after his visit.  Speculation only.

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. I've got my fingers crossed that you friend is wrong, and Stachel waits until Saturday to commit.

Modification: I assumed that what your friend said had to do with Satchel eliminating MU which I thought "didn't make much sense", but the content of that premium Pitt article saying that he might not need to visit MU to pick MU is an entirely different animal.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:33:41 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »

I had that feeling too; up until Kansas hosted him at their Midnight Madness.  He really got blown away when he visited for that, and we were effectively out of the picture after that, I thought.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »

Yates is going to a prep school because he didn't like his college options after graduating HS.  He was a PF on a HS school team that had a dominate center, 6'9" 275 lb. Kennedy Meeks who went to North Carolina, so his opportunities may have been limited.  He projects to be a four year guy, but who knows?  He could develop nicely, or he could Roseboro.  His year in prep school should give us fan types a better read on him.  Since his name has only recently popped up, I assume that he is showing some great signs in the Charlotte preseason league that he is playing in, and Buzz is trying to tie him up early before his recruiting blows up.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:35:42 AM by LittleMurs »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »
Corey Evans is 21 of 26 in accurate predictions. He's very good. He did miss on Ben Lammers. Predicted us, but Georgia Tech got him.

FWIW, I think the Crystal Ball crap is a bunch of nonsense. Every recruitment is different and there are ways to game is.. 21 of 26 means zero.

That said, I've seen Corey out at events and based on what I know of him and his locale, I'd pay attention to his thoughts on Pierce. Hardworking, smart kid (Corey).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »
Heard somewhere else that Pierce may announce his decision this week. If he does, I don't think that will bode well for Marquette. The staff really needs to work hard to get him on campus before he makes his decision.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »
Heard somewhere else that Pierce may announce his decision this week. If he does, I don't think that will bode well for Marquette. The staff really needs to work hard to get him on campus before he makes his decision.

You can take your official anytime, including after you've made an announcement or signed your NLI... it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Frankly, I would save my top choice for my last visit (to force myself not to make a decision prematurely)... if the other four officials don't show me anything that would potentially dissuade me from selecting my top choice, I'm in a comfortable position to announce right after my 4th visit and then I can take my official during the conference season when I can actually enjoy myself and watch my future team play a conference game.  But that's just me.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
You can take your official anytime, including after you've made an announcement or signed your NLI... it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Frankly, I would save my top choice for my last visit (to force myself not to make a decision prematurely)... if the other four officials don't show me anything that would potentially dissuade me from selecting my top choice, I'm in a comfortable position to announce right after my 4th visit and then I can take my official during the conference season when I can actually enjoy myself and watch my future team play a conference game.  But that's just me.

I think what brew is saying is that he has information that implies that an early selection is *likely* not going to benefit MU.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »

I think what brew is saying is that he has information, and that implies that an early selection is *likely* not going to benefit MU.

Not to put words in Brew's mouth, but I think I FIFY.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2013, 12:40:40 PM »
Rumblings on the twittosphere that Miami may getting a commitment from a basketball player...Ugh. The lack of attractiveness of MU to bigger, quality players astounds...

Serpentor ‏@doncmleon 47m
we might get a commit today? any 1 know who it might be? #Canes
Expand
 Joe Garcia ‏@JGJr9 45m
@doncmleon Where'd you see this?
Expand
 Serpentor ‏@doncmleon 44m
@JGJr9 its on rivals front page.. theyre not showing a face, only the U
Expand
 Joe Garcia ‏@JGJr9 43m
@doncmleon That's for some basketball kid I think.
Expand
 Serpentor ‏@doncmleon 42m
@JGJr9 gotcha! I saw it and thought -- how in the hell did we miss this?
Expand
 Rojo Johnson ‏@KnowNeed4AName 39m
@doncmleon @JGJr9 This is the recruit they're talking about http://247sports.com/Player/Satchel-Pierce-31850
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:49:19 PM by siliconwarrior »