[June 25, 2024, 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[June 25, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[June 25, 2024, 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[June 25, 2024, 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Hill shortens list, down to Marquette, Mizzou?  (Read 48052 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
[Paint Touches] Hill shortens list, down to Marquette, Mizzou?
« on: September 19, 2013, 02:03:20 AM »
Things are moving quickly. Here's the latest:

http://bit.ly/1drj5kk

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Hill shortens list, down to Marquette, Mizzou?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:18:23 AM »
I bet he is off to Mizzou. Watch.

Whenever a kid starts off talking about the friend or teammate he would be playing with and liking the style of play he is gone...

If everything else is equal with playing time he will choose the friend and the homie and the style of play.

He had better factor in the coaching and the proven track record of MU recruits advancing to the next level as well and them becoming better people and players and a great education if that is what they want.

He will choose Missouri if you ask me. Just a hunch.

MU gets Sam Cassell Jr....but do they actually need another 6'4 wing SG? Damn....lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:21:12 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:57 AM »
Yeah, actually both Hill and Cassel play the same position and I would argue an SG type is a clear position of need.  Come 2014, Mayo will be a senior.  And Johnson is really the only other option in that type of role.  Burton and Anderson aren't really that type of player.  Not sure about Cohen.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:06 AM »
I bet he is off to Mizzou. Watch.

Whenever a kid starts off talking about the friend or teammate he would be playing with and liking the style of play he is gone...

If everything else is equal with playing time he will choose the friend and the homie and the style of play.

He had better factor in the coaching and the proven track record of MU recruits advancing to the next level as well and them becoming better people and players and a great education if that is what they want.

He will choose Missouri if you ask me. Just a hunch.

MU gets Sam Cassell Jr....but do they actually need another 6'4 wing SG? Damn....lol

Too many variables to make that kind of assumption.  Who knows, his parents may like Buzz better, he may ultimately want to get away from his friend to establish himself, he may like tigers better than golden eagles.  Maybe his development as a person and education are important to him, maybe not. If we are in his final 2, that is a good place to be at this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
Let's get this kid committed! I like his game and he would be a perfect compliment to JJJ and Burton. Round off the class with Craig or Blammers and we are looking pretty good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
Actually reading the statements Hill made that were cited in the Paint Touches article....I see it leaning more Marquette's way:

Me and coach Buzz, we just have a really strong relationship. We talk about life situations, and I think he’s a great guy.”

Mizzou:  Me and coach Haith have a pretty good relationship. And It’s mainly a basketball school.”

So, sounds like a place being a basketball school is important and that his relationship with Buzz is slightly better than Haith....plus Buzz has a much better track record of getting guys to the league...and after meeting with Buzz....Indiana was taken off the list (unless Indiana gets a commit from a different player in the next few days that would be a similar player to Hill.)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
I wouldn't parse the language of "really strong" v. "pretty good" when it comes to an 18 year old, but I do think that it is interesting that he went from being a near Mizzou lock to Marquette having a better shot all within the last 48 hours or so.

Not to mention your points that Haith's NBA success and tournament success pales in comparison to Buzz's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
I wouldn't parse the language of "really strong" v. "pretty good" when it comes to an 18 year old, but I do think that it is interesting that he went from being a near Mizzou lock to Marquette having a better shot all within the last 48 hours or so.

Not to mention your points that Haith's NBA success and tournament success pales in comparison to Buzz's.

Agree with Sultan (um, Terror).  Seems like 'big mo' might just be on our side here.  But either way, I wish him well in his decision and I think I now agree with the notion that Cassell goes to the school that Hill passes on.  Either would be a wonderful addition to our program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
Strotty, I'm not sure what you mean by this:

"Marquette has also purged the wing position, securing oral commitments from Sandy Cohen and Malek Harris."

How is recruiting Cohen and Harris removing undesirables from the wing position?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
Cassel is also looking at UConn and Florida State.  We very well not get either of them.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:23 AM »
Interesting that Hill thinks of Mizzou as a basketball school.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »
"And it's mainly a basketball school."

I like hearing that.  Good to hear that bball recruits are realizing, 'hey at Mizzou, I'm 2nd fiddle.  at Marquette (aka the real MU) I'm a celebrity because not only is it "mainly" a basketball school, but it's only a basketball school'

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »
Put me down for bein' in the Hill camp.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »
Seems like most of the "experts" are predicting Missouri. But with Buzz, I like MU's chances. We'll see.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Seems like most of the "experts" are predicting Missouri. But with Buzz, I like MU's chances. We'll see.

The majority of those "experts" predicted Missouri the morning after their in home with him - which was the same day buzz had his in home with hill and before all the positive tweets from Hill about buzz, Marquette, Indiana.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 01:37:46 PM »
Not that it means he is going to marquette or Missouri but take it for what it's worth. I think the crystal ball on that site is fairly accurate but has been known to be wrong at times.

MU72491

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
This might be a dumb question but if we sign Hill do we have 1 or 2 scholarships left?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
This might be a dumb question but if we sign Hill do we have 1 or 2 scholarships left?
I hope none by time he signs. We would have one left, if Hill committed now.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
What other recruits have we lost to Mizzou when they've whittled down their lists to just a handful?

It seems like, well, a handful of recruits have gone the UM way instead of the MU way.
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
Really nice kid; he's a real good fit for Buzz. But... flip a coin. Eager to see how everything shapes up in the coming days/weeks/months.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
Reason for him not picking Indiana was not Isiah Whitehead.  Whitehead is going to Seton Hall, which is great for that program.  

BTW, Whitehead was ranked as #1 SG by some.  Seems his high school coach will be joining the Seton Hall staff.  Never ends.......
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:20:54 PM by nyg »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
Reason for him not picking Indiana was not Isiah Whitehead.  Whitehead is going to Seton Hall, which is great for that program.  

BTW, Whitehead was ranked as #1 SG by some.  Seems his high school coach will be joining the Seton Hall staff.  Never ends.......

But Robert Johnson announced he would announce this week just before Whitehead, yes? Guess we'll see what Johnson says manana re: I4.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
Seems like Ahmed is a bit religious, so there's that.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pBWcRqPesws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pBWcRqPesws</a>

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

BTW, Whitehead was ranked as #1 SG by some.  Seems his high school coach will be joining the Seton Hall staff.  Never ends.......

Correct, Tiny Norton, his HS coach is going to SHU.  It was SHU or SJU at the end....package deal.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
But Robert Johnson announced he would announce this week just before Whitehead, yes? Guess we'll see what Johnson says manana re: I4.

Yup, but Johnson is a Boo William's kid and most of the time they stay in the mid atlantic/south.  Florida State or UNC, we shall see.  The next two weeks will be crazy with committs.

As far as Whithead's coach, Tiny Norton, Lincoln Tech is a national powerhouse and could lead to a pipeline to Seton Hall from NYC kids.  Which would be great for BE and the floundering Hall program.  

feedback