[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU vs. Western Michigan no longer..  (Read 7884 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
MU vs. Western Michigan no longer..
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
worst offensive post-season game.  Scored 40.   Scored 39 tonight.  Wow.   :-\

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250730269

denverMU

• All American
Re: MU vs. Western Michigan no longer..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
Can't win when MU shoots 25 three point shots.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »

Sure we can--just have to make more than 3 of them.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
 .. went 1-21 against WMU.    3-25 vs. SU tonight.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »

Today we played Syracuse (a team that just held the highest scoring team in the country to 50) in the Elite 8 at a neutral sight. Comparing it to a home NIT game against Western freakin' Michigan is absurd.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:37:35 PM »
Let's fight about it!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »
Let's fight about it!

Yeah unnatural carnal knowledge you topper.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
Let's fight about it!

Don't want to fight with you Topper. I think we're all a little down tonight. I guess I just don't get a "this was worse than Western Michigan" post about a team I think deserves better. Sorry if I came off like a d;ck.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
Well, to be honest, I don't what I wrote is that debatable. 

"MU vs. WMU no longer .. worst offensive post-season game.  Scored 40.   Scored 39 tonight."

While I'd agree with your point that it's relatively way harder to score a point vs. SU than WMU, in absolute terms, we scored 1 less.

The Great Recordbook of MU Losses will just have the number .. 39.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 12:41:40 AM »
Terrible and unnecessary comparison.  You are taking that figure out of context (ie playing Cuse in E8)... for the purpose of shatting on a great season?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 01:06:25 AM »

what's the point of this? In any event, there's no comparison between the two situations.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 01:28:11 AM »
He was merely posting a post season fact which will go in the record book.  That's all.

He's not comparing it to WMU.  Of course, we also know that many teams when they go to the NIT lay an egg...see Kentucky this year.  They don't care, they have mailed it in.  MU had 1 day to prepare for that game and they lost.  They scored 40 points.  The program survived.

MU scored 39 points today, against a much better team but with much more prep time.  They scored 39.  That's all he said.  Life will go on.  The program will survive and MU will be just fine.

The great injustice that some think has been brought about here....just settle down.  Today was disappointing, but a great season.  Move on

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 01:45:21 AM »
Today we played Syracuse (a team that just held the highest scoring team in the country to 50) in the Elite 8 at a neutral sight. Comparing it to a home NIT game against Western freakin' Michigan is absurd.

Lenny, that loss to Western Michigan still stands as the most shameful day in Marquette basketball history.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »
He was merely posting a post season fact which will go in the record book.  That's all.

He's not comparing it to WMU.  Of course, we also know that many teams when they go to the NIT lay an egg...see Kentucky this year.  They don't care, they have mailed it in.  MU had 1 day to prepare for that game and they lost.  They scored 40 points.  The program survived.

MU scored 39 points today, against a much better team but with much more prep time.  They scored 39.  That's all he said.  Life will go on.  The program will survive and MU will be just fine.

The great injustice that some think has been brought about here....just settle down.  Today was disappointing, but a great season.  Move on

God almighty. You will NEVER miss an opportunity to defend your boy - he only had one day to prepare for a home game against mighty Western Michigan (I guess the Broncos found out about the game weeks earlier), the big boys (the Kentuckys and the Creans) don't care about the NIT , blah,blah, blah. He led us to the loser's tournament. It was his responsibility to prepare the team for it.

Also love the usual passive aggressive swipe at Buzz, that he had "much more prep time" for Syracuse. The Indiana/Syracuse game ended at midnight Thursday night/Friday morning. assuming prep started the following day that's one day (Friday) to get ready followed by game day.

So,excuses for TC, a knock for Buzz. And then you have the balls to tell people to settle down and move on? Have you ever, just once, in your own life had just a glimmer of self reflection? Maybe you could take some of the advice you dispense so freely to others.

Happy Easter.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »
God almighty. You will NEVER miss an opportunity to defend your boy - he only had one day to prepare for a home game against mighty Western Michigan (I guess the Broncos found out about the game weeks earlier), the big boys (the Kentuckys and the Creans) don't care about the NIT , blah,blah, blah. He led us to the loser's tournament. It was his responsibility to prepare the team for it.

Also love the usual passive aggressive swipe at Buzz, that he had "much more prep time" for Syracuse. The Indiana/Syracuse game ended at midnight Thursday night/Friday morning. assuming prep started the following day that's one day (Friday) to get ready followed by game day.

So,excuses for TC, a knock for Buzz. And then you have the balls to tell people to settle down and move on? Have you ever, just once, in your own life had just a glimmer of self reflection? Maybe you could take some of the advice you dispense so freely to others.

Happy Easter.

Spot on m'man. Saved me some typin'.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
Lenny, that loss to Western Michigan still stands as the most shameful day in Marquette basketball history.

Your execution of hyperbole is an art form.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »
Your execution of hyperbole is an art form.

The horror of Western Michigan was exceeded only by the shock of Crean's treachery

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »

We can if we're hitting them. We were looking for totally clean looks instead of having confidence in our catch and shoot. Blue and Mayo can make shots with defenders on them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »
The horror of Western Michigan was exceeded only by the shock of Crean's treachery

Followed by the treachery of Kevin O'Neil?  Or was it Rick's treachery of leaving us in June?  I always get those confused.  Makes you wonder if the most shameful day in MU basketball history is a day when we lose a NIT game, what does it say about years when we can't even make the NIT.....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
Followed by the treachery of Kevin O'Neil?  Or was it Rick's treachery of leaving us in June?  I always get those confused.  Makes you wonder if the most shameful day in MU basketball history is a day when we lose a NIT game, what does it say about years when we can't even make the NIT.....

You would be a great defense attorney. "Ladies and gentleman of the jury, my client is most assuredly guilty and egregiously so, but he's not the only one who ever committed this type of crime. And his wife said hi to mine once. For these compelling reasons it's your duty to render a not guilty verdict, and while your at it, thank my client for being the swell guy he is. Thank you."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
what does it say about years when we can't even make the NIT.....

You mean Crean's second year at Marquette?

Death on call

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 11:39:48 AM »

Happy Easter.

I think the lack of a point guard in 2005 was a bigger factor than lack of prep time. Diener was injured and we were relying on Marcus Jackson as a "point center".   Crean should have had a backup point guard on the roster.  He didn't and we suffered because of it.

That aside, your protests about this being an invalid comparison leave out one imporant fact--in both seasons we were playing a relative equal.  You make a big deal that Syracuse is a better team than WMU.  Fine, but 2013 Marquette had elite eight talent, while 2005 Marquette had NIT talent. Those points offset each other.

And I don't think you can make the case that 39 points is somehow acceptable becuase the opponent was Syracuse. 39 points is a poor offensive showing for a team with Elite Eight talent regardless of the opponent.    Especailly when we are a team that tallied 73 points against the same opponent 4 weeks prior.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
So despite Hilltopper's completely factual post, the ensuing and predictable panties twisting was not to be prevented.

Maybe this would be a better way to put it.

The 39 points is the lowest for a Marquette team ever in a NCAA tournament game....five of the top ten low outputs were during the non shot clock era

Here are our top ten low point totals.

39 points against Syracuse 2013 (L)
49 points against Duke 1994 (L)
49 points against Michigan State 2007 (L)
51 points against UNC Charlotte 1977 (W) - Pre Shot Clock era
54 points against Kentucky 1975 (L) - Pre Shot Clock era
56 points against Tennessee 1983 (L)
56 points against DePaul 1979 (L) - Pre Shot Clock era
58 points against Utah State 2009  (W)
59 points against Providence 1997 (L)
59 points against Ohio State 1971 (L) - Pre Shot Clock era
59 points against Villanova 1980 (L) - Pre Shot Clock era

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
You mean Crean's second year at Marquette?

Yes...and we survived and went to a Final Four two years later.  What's interesting about you and Lenny is that you guys are so enamored over a NIT loss to Western Michigan (despite having no point guard because he was hurt) by that coach and I think I've never heard you once praise getting to a Final Four under him, or beating #1 Kentucky, #4 Pittsburgh, etc.  Hmm.  Character revealed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:18:30 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
Why, because I posted something factual. 

I keep thinking that someone can't be as thin skinned as you, but you keep proving me wrong.  I hate it when facts do that...damn.  The irony is that you slam me for defending someone, and when facts come out that have nothing to do with Buzz, you get in total defense mode like someone is attacking him. OH. THE. IRONY.