[Today at 04:41:17 PM]

2024-25 Roster by DFW HOYA
[Today at 03:15:39 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 02:56:18 PM]

Media Rights Update by WhiteTrash
[Today at 12:32:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: student section chant  (Read 30225 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: student section chant
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
Well played.  But I'll claim an excuse.  Drinking age was 18 in my day.  I'm sure I was intoxicated.   ;D

And that's why in a certain era we couldn't do a chant like "I Believe."  We would have been incapable of chanting it correctly in unison.  And that's also why it works so well at Utah State.
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
So if you want an article about something that is purported to be a Marquette creation (at least as far as sports arena stuff goes), take a look at this USA today article about the Zombie Nation song played during timeouts.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-02-19-zombie-nation-arena-music_N.htm

That's actually pretty cool.  I had no idea.  I am sure that the first time I heard this, it wasn't at a Marquette game.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »
Or better yet, we could go to a generic mascot that symolizes striving and commitment and willingess to sacrifice for the greater good with no Native American imagery.   Maybe we could have some rich alum offer 7 figures if the school changes to that mascot.  Maybe the powers that be can then change the mascot to the lamest thing imaginable that ticks off everybody.   Maybe we can then have a contest for a new mascot that specifically excludes the one everybody wants.     Maybe we can then stick with the generic mascot that nobody cares about.    See, that stuff is original.   If we could find some way to incorporate THAT into the dead-ball entertainment, that would be awesome.       ::)

In a bit of quirky timing, cleaning out my office today as we are moving to a new building.  Stumbled across some things that I had filed away over the years, including this.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
Reading that letter again, I feel like I just picked at a giant scab.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
MU is about 3 schools that do this chant. While you have southern bands that play the same song. Penn St & Ohio State students chant the same songs.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
MU is about 3 schools that do this chant. While you have southern bands that play the same song. Penn St & Ohio State students chant the same songs.

Ah yes, very good point. A patent attorney once told me that if I were to be copycat #1 or #2, Im above the law. If Im #3 (or greater), Im flucked.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
Initially I thought the chant was going to be lame because it was a blatant ripoff from other schools. However, I was impressed with it when the students first did it at the Georgetown game. Unfortunately, I'm now back to thinking it's lame because it's done, and done significantly better, by other schools. Last night's chant felt like the few students who were there were just going through the motions.

In the end though, at least the students are trying. I'll give them that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
So this board is basically made up of alumni and I am going to assume alumni that went to a majority of Marquette's bball games themselves.  Now, would students these days need to be "lame" and "steal" chants if my class, your class, any past class would have made our own?  No.  So by calling them lame, you are essentially admitting you too are lame because you didn't create anything yourself either.

crap, but wait, I forgot when you were in school Marquette's student section was originial and off the charts.

I wore a gold latex catsuit well before Green Man was on IASIP, and I had never seen it prior to finding it on EBay in 2006. You don't see me saying I created it though or how many times I was on national television with it.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
OK.  In order to create some "buzz" and acquire fame, how about we have a designated student smuggle a winged rodent into home games, letting it go during the game.    ::)

You know a student let the bat out in the arena....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »
I really hate this board sometimes. I know I should take some of these comments with a grain of salt because it is scoop afterall but I feel the need to defend myself and fellow students. There is nothing more frustrating to us then people bashing us but not proposing any new ideas themselves. Instead of saying how unoriginal we are come up with ideas with your own and give them to us. We have a group that works with the athletic department to make a better atmosphere for the basketball games. Secondly not really related to this but in terms of bashing our attendance, (Ive seen it before) how about you guys fill the stands as well. Its not just us in the Bradley center. We only take up 4k seats which is almost half of the undergrad student body. To have half the school at a game is remarkable. I am extremely sick of seeing threads like this. I know the intent of this thread was not to bash us but people still managed to anyway.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »
I really hate this board sometimes. I know I should take some of these comments with a grain of salt because it is scoop afterall but I feel the need to defend myself and fellow students. There is nothing more frustrating to us then people bashing us but not proposing any new ideas themselves. Instead of saying how unoriginal we are come up with ideas with your own and give them to us. We have a group that works with the athletic department to make a better atmosphere for the basketball games. Secondly not really related to this but in terms of bashing our attendance, (Ive seen it before) how about you guys fill the stands as well. Its not just us in the Bradley center. We only take up 4k seats which is almost half of the undergrad student body. To have half the school at a game is remarkable. I am extremely sick of seeing threads like this. I know the intent of this thread was not to bash us but people still managed to anyway.

Completely agree. Having students come to a game on Monday that is at 8 PM is not an easy thing. And for hell's sake, when we tried doing the wave during the Providence game, it took all you alumni at least 5-7 tries to pick it up. So let's show a little enthusiasm, alumni! Do not blame this all on us, the student. For a Monday game, I actually thought there was good energy. So let's make this a team effort, eh?  

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
Completely agree. Having students come to a game on Monday that is at 8 PM is not an easy thing.

Huh? Why would that not be easy? And why would Monday be any different than Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday?

Those who have showed up have been great. The problem is only half of the student section shows up consistently.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
Huh? Why would that not be easy? And why would Monday be any different than Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday?

Those who have showed up have been great. The problem is only half of them show up consistently.

Thursday: 1 dollar shots at Victor's. Everyone pre-games and hits up the bars after the game/thirsty Thursday.
Monday is the start of the week, no one really wants to go or has the energy to, as classes start again and everyone is trying to figure out what they did during the weekend. We've only had one or two games on Tuesday or Wednesday. Every single other game has been Fri/Sat/Sunday. I've been to every home game so far, and I realize that many people simply don't show up, but you have to realize that Monday is just not a good day for anything, including a basketball game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »
Monday is the start of the week, no one really wants to go or has the energy to, as classes start again and everyone is trying to figure out what they did during the weekend. We've only had one or two games on Tuesday or Wednesday. Every single other game has been Fri/Sat/Sunday. I've been to every home game so far, and I realize that many people simply don't show up, but you have to realize that Monday is just not a good day for anything, including a basketball game.

You're right. I mean, it's not like 13,000 other people last night worked a full day and still managed to muster up enough energy to go to a game. How could I forget how difficult it is for students to go to 4 classes and a basketball game?

FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »
Thursday: 1 dollar shots at Victor's. Everyone pre-games and hits up the bars after the game/thirsty Thursday.

Careful, ZFB and 4Ever troll at Victims on Cougar Night

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
You're right. I mean, it's not like 13,000 other people last night worked a full day and still managed to muster up enough energy to go to a game. How could I forget how difficult it is for students to go to 4 classes and a basketball game?

FFS.

Lets consider the student body of Marquette. Thats about 9.5-10k undergrads. There are 4k student section tickets. You are asking almost half of the entire student body to show up for a game. Now I attended but people have jobs, homework and other commitments. People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. The second everbody else fills the upper bowl you have a valid point but until that time you have no right to bash students for not showing up. Plus at least we get to the game on time instead of trickling in 5 minutes after tip.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »
Lets consider the student body of Marquette. Thats about 9.5-10k undergrads. There are 4k student section tickets. You are asking almost half of the entire student body to show up for a game. Now I attended but people have jobs, homework and other commitments. People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. The second everbody else fills the upper bowl you have a valid point but until that time you have no right to bash students for not showing up. Plus at least we get to the game on time instead of trickling in 5 minutes after tip.

And going back to the point of this forum, if you guys have any thoughts or suggestions as to what you would like to hear us chant, then by all means, please let us know. We are all ears.

But something tells me that whatever we do, someone will always have a problem with it, like the F**k the Badger chant during the Wisco game that literally every single class does. But I'm extremely curious as to what ideas you guys have and I mean that with 100% curiosity and 0% sarcasm. We are all fans and the atmosphere has an effect on everyone. It's a team effort.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:36:54 PM by setyoursightsnorth »

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »
funny, I had it in my head that it was a Utah St. thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YUnOoye58

Utah States....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »

No one here is expecting all 4,000 there every game. That's unrealistic, no question.

But, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to fill up the lower sections, at minimum. Especially with the team being ranked and in first place. The turnout Monday was pathetic.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01:38 AM »
Plus at least we get to the game on time instead of trickling in 5 minutes after tip.

I've been relatively quick to defend the students to many people this season - whether it be the chants or the attendance or the enthusiasm...but last night was bordering on DePaul and UWM levels a few minutes before the game. There were 10 people max in the section behind the band at tip. It didn't fill up until 10 minutes into the second half. As you said...

People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01:55 AM »
I never liked the chant, but it is more so I find it dumb unless done amazingly well like US. "I believe" just rubs we the wrong way where it is almost like blind faith. Doesn't sound too confident.* I always liked the "We ready" chant.

*Unless you absolutely rock it to the point it gives you shivers.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »
Completely agree. Having students come to a game on Monday that is at 8 PM is not an easy thing. And for hell's sake, when we tried doing the wave during the Providence game, it took all you alumni at least 5-7 tries to pick it up. So let's show a little enthusiasm, alumni! Do not blame this all on us, the student. For a Monday game, I actually thought there was good energy. So let's make this a team effort, eh?  

You tried starting the wave? Really.

That's just awful. The wave is a disgrace to sporting events.

MUfan12 is pretty on with his comments. The student section was 2/3rds full on Saturday, but it took until the second media timeout to get there.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:10 AM »
You tried starting the wave? Really.

That's just awful. The wave is a disgrace to sporting events.

MUfan12 is pretty on with his comments. The student section was 2/3rds full on Saturday, but it took until the second media timeout to get there.

The wave is a terrible idea in any situation...

To exacerbate an already terrible idea, it was passing behind the basket while we were shooting free throws.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:16:52 AM by foreverwarriors »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »
I've been relatively quick to defend the students to many people this season - whether it be the chants or the attendance or the enthusiasm...but last night was bordering on DePaul and UWM levels a few minutes before the game. There were 10 people max in the section behind the band at tip. It didn't fill up until 10 minutes into the second half. As you said...

Not quite sure what game you were at. Lower bowl was filled at tip. Thats how we know if we do the "I believe" chant or not.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 12:53:44 AM »
I just think the student section needs more flair...make that flares.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcvAOpnnMK0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WcvAOpnnMK0</a>