[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo Suspended  (Read 25383 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo Suspended
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
Sometimes when you take on a kid who's an academic risk it leads to eligibility issues. Todd Mayo, given his background, was an academic risk. After all, most kids his age are close to finishing college, not just starting it. It's not the first time this has happened at MU, nor will it be the last. If Todd fails to qualify, it's not the fault of Buzz Williams, Larry Williams or Marquette University. It'll be Todd's fault.

Right on the money.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
Within the last two weeks MU has posted academic requirements that exceed those required by the NCAA.

Are you sure? What's changed?

Edit: I think I found it, but maybe I'm not seeing the same thing you are.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:38:57 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
So the academic standards were raised and now the long rumored Mayo suspension is here?  Wonder what madtownwarrior thinks about all of this.  Clearly we were all idiots for discussing this before.

As best as I can tell, if there was a change in academic requirements, it went from requiring a 1.8 GPA after freshman year, a 1.9 after sophomore year and 2.0 by senior year to a flat 2.0 for all years.

Hiroshima!

Edit: Just to back that up, here's what the NCAA regulations say about GPA:

What are the Division I grade-point average requirements to remain eligible?
Student-athletes must achieve 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate (for example, 1.8) by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum GPA (1.9) by year three and 100 percent (2.0) by year four.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Eligibility/Remaining+Eligible/Academics

And here are MU's requirements:

First and Second Year Student-Athletes
• Must be enrolled full-time (12 credits per semester).
Must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA at the beginning of second year.
• Must follow principles set forth in the Academic Principles Agreement.
• Must complete a minimum of 24 credits per academic year with no more than six of those credits earned during the summer session.

Entering Third Year Student-Athletes
• Must be enrolled full-time (12 credits per semester).
Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
• Must have declared a major and completed 40% of the credits required for their bachelors degree program.
• Must complete a minimum of 24 credits per academic year with no more than six of those credits earned during the summer session.
• Must have earned 6 credits the previous semester.

Entering Fourth Year Student-Athletes
• Must be enrolled full-time (12 credits per semester). If less than 12 credits are needed to complete degree requirements, the student-athlete may remain eligible by enrolling part-time in the credits needed to meet degree requirements. Verification from college is required.
Must attain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
• Must have completed 60% of the course requirements for the degree program. Fifth-year athletes must have completed 80% of degree requirements, and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/acad-comp/spec-rel/070110aaa.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:49:10 PM by Pakuni »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
As best as I can tell, if there was a change in academic requirements, it went from requiring a 1.8 GPA after freshman year, a 1.9 after sophomore year and 2.0 by senior year to a flat 2.0 for all years.

Hiroshima!

Clearly Larry has dropped the bomb.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
Somebody enroll Todd in History of Jazz. 
Sadly, our boy John Grams has passed away. R.I.P.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »
I see Todd as the exception that proves the rule.   MU argues that it holds the players accountable but thanks to the world class academic support, >90% graduate.   Wiscy-fan argues that MU just rubber stamps the athletes and is no better than a JUCO/diploma factory.    This proves that (A) MU athletes are held academically accountable (B) ergo the academic support must be world class for MU to have such a high graduation rate, and (C) sometimes even with the best efforts and support students fall short.   Hopefully this is a short term setback and a way can be found to help Todd with his education.    Sometimes it is just a matter of finding a more effective way to teach, as the student learns differently.  

Wisky fans have absolutely nothing to say after producing Ron Dayne.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
What I don't understand about the new standards are the fact that by the time they are a junior, they still need to have a 2.0 cumulative.  But instead of going 1.8 and 1.9 to get there, they have to go 2.0 and 2.0 to get there?  To me, unless I am missing something, it is a little silly to up the bar for the first two years only to keep it the same after year three.  What's the point?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
I see Todd as the exception that proves the rule.   MU argues that it holds the players accountable but thanks to the world class academic support, >90% graduate.   Wiscy-fan argues that MU just rubber stamps the athletes and is no better than a JUCO/diploma factory.    This proves that (A) MU athletes are held academically accountable (B) ergo the academic support must be world class for MU to have such a high graduation rate, and (C) sometimes even with the best efforts and support students fall short.   Hopefully this is a short term setback and a way can be found to help Todd with his education.    Sometimes it is just a matter of finding a more effective way to teach, as the student learns differently.  

+1

I have a friend who is in the department who provides acedemic support to athletes, and is someone who I respect.  This individual supports athletes in sports other than B Ball. From what I've learned from our discussions, the support is there to help Todd, or any athlete be successful.  It is up to the athlete.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
It's not entirely accurate to say that Mayo has been suspended because academic standards were raised. That's all I'll say, but what I've gathered is this is Todd's mess-up and his to fix.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »
So a)Marquette retroactively raised eligiility requirements and, b)for now anyway, we have a player who likely meets NCAA (UW, Indiana, Syracuse, etc.) standards but not MU's new ones. Exactly what muguru said a)would and b)could happen. I'm sure madtown, lab, Hoop and others will be quick with their apologies. The price of tinfoil is going up.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
So a)Marquette retroactively raised eligiility requirements and, b)for now anyway, we have a player who likely meets NCAA (UW, Indiana, Syracuse, etc.) standards but not MU's new ones. Exactly what muguru said a)would and b)could happen. I'm sure madtown, lab, Hoop and others will be quick with their apologies. The price of tinfoil is going up.
 Agree totally.  Let's see if they are classy enough to do it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:43:50 PM by ATWizJr »

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
Well.. I think that's a reasonable middle ground for everyone. While it doesn't say anything about admissions, our eligibility requirements are > Stanford

http://www.gostanford.com/compliance/current-athletes-aceligibility-progress.html

and > Duke

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205076744

and > Georgetown
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gu/genrel/auto_pdf/SAHandbook.pdf

and of course > Harvard... I mean Wisconsin
http://www.uwbadgers.com/compliance/academic-eligibility.html

In addition, if it doesn't impact admissions, I would say this helps Buzz's recruiting/message to parents and stresses the importance of academics at MU over others who just talk about it.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:34:13 PM by dw3dw3dw3 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »
So a)Marquette retroactively raised eligiility requirements and, b)for now anyway, we have a player who likely meets NCAA (UW, Indiana, Syracuse, etc.) standards but not MU's new ones.

You have no idea if "b" is the case, and in fact strotty implies it isn't.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »

How do we know that he's only ineligible because the academic standards were raised? Maybe he was ineligible with the old standards as well.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »

I will absolutely admit I was wrong, but I'm not sure we know that yet. Strotty seems like a good source to this point and he implies it's not a "retro problem"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »

Who said they did anything retroactively?
What's your basis for saying Todd "likely" meets NCAA standards? Do you have access to his transcripts?

Do you see raising the GPA two-tenths of one point for incoming sophomores and one-tenth of one point for incoming juniors as Hiroshima?
Grasping at straws, my man.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
What I don't understand about the new standards are the fact that by the time they are a junior, they still need to have a 2.0 cumulative.  But instead of going 1.8 and 1.9 to get there, they have to go 2.0 and 2.0 to get there?  To me, unless I am missing something, it is a little silly to up the bar for the first two years only to keep it the same after year three.  What's the point?

I believe and don't know how others feel, but a 2.0 is a fair barometer for athlete's grade.  If one cannot attain that level then maybe they should not be on a team. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
By the way, there is also no evidence to support that the standards were raised retroactively.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
We all know that MU bent over backwards to get Todd here despite his academics.  And we all knew that he's had continued academic troubles at MU, right?

Sorry I didn't bring this up earlier.  I thought it was already common knowledge.  I guess it wasn't since we're already on page 3.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »
absolutely no apology from me - no facts that MU retroactively raised anything.   TM rumored to have flirted with academic eligibility last year.   He may not even made a 1.8 cut-off far as we know, much less a 2.0

I see no Hiroshima outrage at the situation- far over-blown if this is the only impact.   

And as others said, a 2.0 is really not a big deal given the major chosen and academic support available...

Do you think if he meet the 1.8 but not the 2.0 imposed by MU that TM would actually stick it out at MU or transfer to another school - which he could easily do.   The fact that he is in summer schools stills seems to point out there is more to the situation.

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »
It's not entirely accurate to say that Mayo has been suspended because academic standards were raised. That's all I'll say, but what I've gathered is this is Todd's mess-up and his to fix.

Thank you. From what I know, this has nothing to do with increased standards and much more to do with Todd messing up academically. He can not participate in team activities because he is not enrolled in class at Marquette this summer. He must have been enrolled to start the summer, and my knowledge is that he was failing the classes, thus dropping was the only option to keep his GPA up high enough for the fall. This would account for why he is here in Milwaukee. Not the whole argument that someone used before with summer classes somewhere else.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
Thank you. From what I know, this has nothing to do with increased standards and much more to do with Todd messing up academically. He can not participate in team activities because he is not enrolled in class at Marquette this summer. He must have been enrolled to start the summer, and my knowledge is that he was failing the classes, thus dropping was the only option to keep his GPA up high enough for the fall. This would account for why he is here in Milwaukee. Not the whole argument that someone used before with summer classes somewhere else.

I believe this post has many speculations that are not accurate.  The reason that he isn't involved in team activities isn't because he isn't enrolled.

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »

I believe this post has many speculations that are not accurate.  The reason that he isn't involved in team activities isn't because he isn't enrolled.

And none of your post or anyone else's post have speculation??? What part do you not believe is accurate. I can tell you that everything I said is accurate from what I have heard. Everyone is committed to this idea of Hiroshima and increased standards, but they have no facts besides speculation that any of that is true.

I would also like to clairfy, when I mean enrolled i mean just for the summer. From what I have heard Todd dropped his summer classes from failing them. He did this to keep his GPA above the line for the fall. So Sultan where do you believe I am not accurate? Or is your speculation just right?

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm honestly trying to understand:

How do we know Todd's not enrolled in classes this summer?

And I'm missing the link on this part: he was enrolled to begin the summer, was failing, dropped the classes, and ... he's still here? To do what, exactly? If he's not taking classes and can't participate in team activities, what's the point of being in Milwaukee?

feedback