[Today at 06:44:09 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 03:08:45 PM]

Oso Article by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:31:08 AM]

More conference realignment talk by WhiteTrash
[June 21, 2024, 09:02:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations..  (Read 9667 times)

JD

• All American
Realistic Expectations..
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
So i was talking to my fellow MU friends last night, and got onto the discussion of basketball.  They were very adamant that MU would not get to the S16 again this year and probably not until 2015 because "lack of leadership."

I was just curious where does everyone here have us going this year as far as realistic expectations? Personally I think another Sweet 16 isn't far fetched, now that we have Lockett, and anything short would be a disappointment to me.

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Realistic Expectations..
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »
So i was talking to my fellow MU friends last night, and got onto the discussion of basketball.  They were very adamant that MU would not get to the S16 again this year and probably not until 2015 because "lack of leadership."

Get new friends.

JD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
Get new friends.

*Roommates, I shouldn't have used the term friends so loosely.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

sarcastro

• Starter
  • Live Comedy. Dead Serious.
    • Coalition Theater
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
We lacked leadership last year after Butler left.  And of course there was a leadership void the year before when Lazar left.  Oh my god, I don't even want to discuss the leadership black hole we faced when the Three Amigos left.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
"Leadership" isn't going to be a problem IMO.  There were concerns expressed on this board just last year about Jae and DJO.  We have a very well grounded transfer in Lockett, a senior point in Cadougan, and a players like Jamil and Otule who seem quiet but hard workers.

And then the year after we have Jamil and Otule as seniors (assuming he gets his sixth year).  And Vander as well.  And I think Buzz does a great job of instilling leadership responsibilities in his players.  I can honestly say that since he has gotten here, we have not had a team that has lacked "leadership" so I doubt that will occur now.

I see no reason why this team wouldn't be able to replicate what occurred last year.  Players will have to step up their games on the court.  Can Lockett provide the offense that we lose with DJO?  Will Mayo be around?  Can Jamil fill the void cause by Jae's departure?  These are the things that will prevent us from reaching the S16.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
I don't think this team is as talented or will be as well-led as last year's team, but we'll see how Lockett does in that role. I would say RD32 or S16 exit but who knows at this point.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »
We lacked leadership last year after Butler left.  And of course there was a leadership void the year before when Lazar left.  Oh my god, I don't even want to discuss the leadership black hole we faced when the Three Amigos left.

I don't know about last year, that was Jae's team from the get go.

But the "lacking leadership" thing is blown so far out of proportion, I agree. I'm more concerned about who will make shots than anything else.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
sweet 16 would be nice, not a huge stretch, I would be happy with that, really happy and surprised with something better, and satisfied with a trip to the second round

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »

*Roommates, I shouldn't have used the term friends so loosely.

You should move.

This coming season is a bit of an unknown given what MU is losing, but 2013 is going to be stacked. If your roommates don't see a S16 until 2015, you should put down a large wager. I would.

I think this season's roster will be the deepest Buzz has had, but they will have to learn to play together.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
I think Mayo is the key. A happy, ready-to-go Mayo is essential to a S16 run IMO. I'm a little paranoid not seeing him at the MU camp at all this week. My son confirmed he hasn't been there. Most everyone else is -- Vander, Jamil, Junior, DWil, Juan, Davante, Otule. Butler even stopped by yesterday. I don't twitter, so maybe he's home, who knows. Hopefully next week.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
I think Mayo is the key. A happy, ready-to-go Mayo is essential to a S16 run IMO. I'm a little paranoid not seeing him at the MU camp at all this week. My son confirmed he hasn't been there. Most everyone else is -- Vander, Jamil, Junior, DWil, Juan, Davante, Otule. Butler even stopped by yesterday. I don't twitter, so maybe he's home, who knows. Hopefully next week.

He's here... the first summer session is winding down and it's crunchtime for him in the classroom.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
But the "lacking leadership" thing is blown so far out of proportion, I agree. I'm more concerned about who will make shots than anything else.

+1.

My two main concerns, shot-making and interior defense.

Jae was just so active on the defensive end last year... Rebounding, steals, taking charges, etc. I know Otule comes back, but I feel that his impact has been overrated. Jamil will need to make a much bigger impact on the boards.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
If Blue plays up to his potential S16 is realistic goal IMO. He needs to be vastly improved on o side of the ball to make things easier for everyone. If everyone is back and healthy we have the talent to be quite good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 11:22:58 AM »
I have no idea if this is the truth, but I am wondering if he is taking summer classes elsewhere.  The only reason I say this is because he has been absent from camps, work out videos, and Scoopers have said they haven't seen him on campus.  Yet he did play in an open gym last Friday versus the Alumni.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
If Lockett performs even as well as he did last year, we're in great shape. 13 pts/gm would be huge, and that's not even adjusting for tempo. Around him, there are a lot of question marks in the backcourt. Mayo is streaky but can score - likely off the bench. All I really expect from Cadougan and Blue is efficiency and defense - I just don't see a huge leap from either.

I love our frontcourt if everyone gets and stays healthy. I expect a huge leap from Jamil, and any improvements Davante makes is icing. A healthy Otule would be more of a stabilizing force than anything else.

The two variables are the contributions of the two Taylors. I don't expect huge numbers from either given their fresh arrival to the Big East, but if either or both surprise us with extended quality minutes, we're in excellent shape.

If Lockett comes to play and our frontcourt stays healthy, we could easily be a S16 team again. This is not a F4 team or an E8 team, but despite having a lot of question marks, we should definitely be in the postseason conversation.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
I would not be surprised by getting to the 2nd weekend again this year.  We've definitely reloaded, even just with guys coming back from injury.  Plenty of leaders on this team, we'll just have to see who decides to step up :)

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
I think we've got plenty of leadership on this years' team.  Cadougan, Blue, Otule, and Lockett are all guys I'd expect to lead, and Mayo and Gardner are experienced scorers that can also step up to leadership roles.    

As for S16, the NCAA tournament is all match-up based, and how well the team is playing in March, which under Buzz, we've usually been firing on all cylinders.  I think it is a very reasonable goal, given that we've got a lot of depth.  

Having said that, NO INJURIES, PLEASE.  

/knocks on desk drawer until knuckles are bloody

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
I don't think leadership will be a problem.  

As always, it will depend on how the talent on hand meshes together.  A lot depends on the newcomers, because DJO and Crowder are big shoes to fill.  I have no idea how good Lockett will be, as he played for a terrible team in a poor conference.  I look at him like we're getting a 13 PPG guy from a mid major like the MAAC.  He may be really good, but I don't even know if he's good enough to play over the guys we have already.  As for the freshman, they always seem to play a lot less under Buzz than people on this board think, so I don't count on a lot from them, though they certainly may surprise.  

On the plus side, the next time Buzz doesn't make more out of his roster than I think he will will be the first.  So I think Sweet 16 is a stretch, but possible.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:14:05 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
"Leadership" is such a blanket statement in sports. It is a non quantifiable vague label used to criticize. "Leadership" and winning are not directly correlated.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
I'll go on record saying we will make the sweet 16 this year and finish top 2 for BEast regular season title.  The team will be loaded, with a lot of depth.  This assumes limited injuries(thats a big if with an MU team) AND that Mayo is back.  If Mayo is back I'm betting he makes the leap this season at least equal to junior year DJO.  I love Vander and his game but Mayo will jump him as the primary 2, with Vander playing back-up at 1 and 2 and some time at 3.

Book it Dano!
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »
He's here... the first summer session is winding down and it's crunchtime for him in the classroom.

I hope the young gal wo was featured on CNN on how well MU tutors their athletes is on Mayo's case. Got to do well in the classroom.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Did Buzz end up leaving and I missed it? He's been a pretty good leader. From a talent standpoint, I think we're about even with last year. Lockett helps offset our losses, we're much better at center with a healthy Otule and DG gaining invaluable experience last year, and the natural progression of other key guys (Van, JW, Junior, Mayo) has us primed for another great year. I think this team is being vastly underrated by MU fans and CBB analysts (do I need to clarify that I mean college basketball and not ChicosBailBonds?). I think we're a top 15-20 team, possibly better if Jamil and Van reach their potential.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
I think there are a lot of people who are discounting how good Lockett really can be.  I think he will do a lot more for us than many realize.  Beyond that, the talk of Mayo jumping Blue in the lineup is absurd. 

Mostly, I agree with what Brew says.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »
I think there are a lot of people who are discounting how good Lockett really can be.  I think he will do a lot more for us than many realize. 

I get the feeling we're going to get a "I am *NOT* letting my senior season go to waste" season from Lockett.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »
Excellent points on Lockett. I really think his choice of Marquette had a lot to do with getting a better stage to try to springboard a NBA career. I think he could go from "who's that?" in November to first or second team Big East by the end of February.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.