[Today at 06:05:27 PM]

Shaka interview by Skatastrophy
[Today at 05:01:17 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[Today at 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[Today at 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Off Beat incident/Event/Aspect in the Annals of Marquette Basketball  (Read 17847 times)

augoman

• All American
I remember the ad in the Milw Sent (used to be the bettter of the 2 papers for sports and business) "the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!"  The 12:01 am tip really made it exciting.

dgies9156

• All American
I remember the ad in the Milw Sent (used to be the bettter of the 2 papers for sports and business) "the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!"  The 12:01 am tip really made it exciting.

I thought it was 1975 as well. I didn't want to debate common belief here for fear of exposing my senility. Either way, it was one hell of a game! But it had to have been 1975 because they were preparing the Soviet team for the 1976 Summer Olympic Games in Montreal.

And I repeat my point that the night we played the Russians, we went home to campus and realized we had something really SPECIAL in our team.

It was too bad Bobby Knight had something even more special that year -- the nation's last undefeated Division 1 college basketball team -- but the game five months later for the Mideast Regional Championship was one for the ages. We were great and they were just a tad greater.

A year later though, we saw what we knew we had that night against the Russians.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
just read an article on the jsonline archives, the Milwaukee Sentinel dated 11/01/1975 has a preview of the match-up with the Soviet team

http://www.jsonline.com/historicarchive/search/?searchBy=date&searchText=&dat=19751101&fromDate=11%2F01%2F1975&nid=wZJMF1LD7PcC&s.x=25&s.y=14

there are no results when searching 11/02/1975 for either the Journal or Sentinel but the Sentinel has a post game coverage 11/03 with a cover story and then sports page coverage http://www.jsonline.com/historicarchive/search/?searchBy=date&searchText=&dat=19751102&fromDate=11%2F02%2F1975&nid=wZJMF1LD7PcC&s.x=20&s.y=11

bilsu

• All American
Anyone remember Lloyd Walton arguing with Al as he would bring the ball upcourt? This happened several times and there was a lot of emotion coming from both Al and Lucky Lloyd. Walton would actually stop moving forward and stand there yelling at Al.

The argument between them was usually about Walton shooting the ball. It was unusual, because Walton did not want to shoot after missing a few in the row, but Al wanted him to keep shooting. Seems odd, but Al believed you beat a zone by shooting from the outside. Of course Walton's teams had Larry McNeal and Lucas and then Lucas and Ellis to go after rebounds, so it was not that crazy of an idea.

I did not see anyone mention Dave Delsman (walk on) punching Al McGuire.

warthog-driver

• All American
I did not see anyone mention Dave Delsman (walk on) punching Al McGuire.

I had forgotten about that! What triggered Delsman's rage?

BTW, I thought Delsman was a scholarship guy.

"When a guy takes off his coat, he's not going to fight. When a guy takes off his wristwatch, watch out!"

Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
I had forgotten about that! What triggered Delsman's rage?

BTW, I thought Delsman was a scholarship guy.

"When a guy takes off his coat, he's not going to fight. When a guy takes off his wristwatch, watch out!"

Al McGuire

Nothing, McGuire dared him to, never thought he'd have the balls to do it.

"Can you imagine that little squirt putting me on the floor?  I should have just hit him on the top on the head and been done with it."
    --Al McGuire
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:45:40 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
Dave was a walk-on originally but earned a schollie cuz of his fine play. For my bread, the best walk-on we've ever had, at least in the modern era.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warthog-driver

• All American
Dave was a walk-on originally but earned a schollie cuz of his fine play. For my bread, the best walk-on we've ever had, at least in the modern era.

I knew Mark Lavin. Gotta respect the time commitment the walk-ons make. Of course, he did get a seal skin coat.

4everwarriors

• All American
And priceless memories to last a lifetime
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warthog-driver

• All American
And priceless memories to last a lifetime

Indeed. I always wondered why Mark wasn't in that famous Tux photo of the 76-77 team since he was most definitely on the squad, and very well liked by the guys.

Earl Tatum

• All American
DGIES --  Remember MU against DePaul. Joey Meyer guarding Jeff Sewell, Meyer sort of punched him and was ejected. The game was about 30 seconds old. MU killed them.

KipsBayEagle

warthog-driver

• All American

mu72warrior

• Starter
After Jim Chones left for the ABA, the Warriors slipped at the end of the season and lost a few. It was very uncertain if MU would make the NCAA field, there were also rumors that Lackey had signed a contract with the Nets (I believe) in secret making it a must that he sign papers with the NCAA that he hadn't. The last game at the Arena and the place was tense as we were to find out if MU made it sometime during the game. After halftime Al came out the the locker room with a yellow jacket (I believe, it was 40 years ago) swinging it over his head like a lasso and the Arena erupted! we knew we had made it. I can't remember ever hearing the Arena that loud.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:58:19 PM by mu72warrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
After Jim Chones left for the ABA, the Warriors slipped at the end of the season and lost a few. It was very uncertain if MU would make the NCAA field, there were also rumors that Lackey had signed a contract with the Nets (I believe) in secret making it a must that he sign papers with the NCAA that he hadn't. The last game at the Arena and the place was tense as we were to find out if MU made it sometime during the game. After halftime Al came out the the locker room with a yellow jacket (I believe, it was 40 years ago) swinging it over his head like a lasso and the Arena erupted! we knew we had made it. I can't remember ever hearing the Arena that loud.

With all due respect 72, you've got your facts all confused.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu72warrior

• Starter
Then correct me

4everwarriors

• All American
The Warriors were 21-0 when Chones left for the Nets after defeating Jacksonville at the Arena. Their next game vs. Creighton pushed the record to 22-0. Yes, they did lose before the Tournament, but their inclusion was never in doubt.
Bob Lackey was required by the NCAA, prior to the start of the Tournament, to sign an affidavit stating he had not enlisted the services of an agent. Thereby, foregoing his amateur status. Al advised him not to sign without legal representation. The NCAA threatened Lackey with disqualification from the Tourney if he didn't validate his amateur standing. MU and Lackey successfully fought the NCAA and he played. Became a mute point as Marquette lost to IU in the Mideast Regional in Nashville. They then beat Fly Williams and the Austin Peay Govenors in the Regional consolation game.
As for Al celebrating the Warriors invite, you may be thinking of 1977 whereby MU was informed of their inclusion during halftime of their nationally televised game vs Michigan in Ann Arbor. Al wore his lucky outfit on their march to the Omni in ATL.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:34:17 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
4ever
What was the year we lost to IU in Nashville?

4everwarriors

• All American

Come to think of it, I believe the Lackey incident vs NCAA was in 1972, which was his junior year
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:40:26 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
Given that he ended up being a starter at center, the best walk on would have to have been John Mueller.

MUMac

• All American
The Warriors were 21-0 when Chones left for the Nets after defeating Jacksonville at the Arena. Their next game vs. Creighton pushed the record to 22-0. Yes, they did lose before the Tournament, but their inclusion was never in doubt.
Bob Lackey was required by the NCAA, prior to the start of the Tournament, to sign an affidavit stating he had not enlisted the services of an agent. Thereby, foregoing his amateur status. Al advised him not to sign without legal representation. The NCAA threatened Lackey with disqualification from the Tourney if he didn't validate his amateur standing. MU and Lackey successfully fought the NCAA and he played. Became a mute point as Marquette lost to IU in the Mideast Regional in Nashville. They then beat Fly Williams and the Austin Peay Govenors in the Regional consolation game.
As for Al celebrating the Warriors invite, you may be thinking of 1977 whereby MU was informed of their inclusion during halftime of their nationally televised game vs Michigan in Ann Arbor. Al wore his lucky outfit on their march to the Omni in ATL.
Actually, Al said MU needed to win out to get to the tournament.  He was superstitious and wore the same suit on the winning streak.  At halftime of the nationally televised game at Michigan, he found out MU made the tournament.  MU was leading at the half, but lost the game.  Al changed his suit at half and came out in a different suit - announcing to the world that MU had made the tournament.

4everwarriors

• All American
Exactly correct. Al then put the lucky suit on for all 5 Tourney games. I, too, was superstitious during the NCAA run by wearing the same tidy whiteys throughout.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American

I was at that regional game in Nashville. It was Bobby Knight's first tournament win over anyone and was the first of Knight's mastery of Marquette. I was devastated, but Indiana was a good team and well coached.

Al was on TV in Nashville that week because on WLAC-TV5, the local talk-show host was formerly of Green Bay and WLUK. Those southerners in nashville got their first taste of Al 101.

The Lackey/Chones incident was the year before. The game in question was against Miami of Ohio in Knoxville on the campus of the University of Tennessee. After Chones left, we lost 70-49 to Detroit. It was awful.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:01:40 PM by dgies9156 »

MUINGB

• Starter
I forgot the year...but some of you may remember also.   My favorite......fans dumping beer on digger...as he was giving them the finger as he walked out of the arena..   

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
I forgot the year...but some of you may remember also.   My favorite......fans dumping beer on digger...as he was giving them the finger as he walked out of the arena..   

Unbelievable, we give the jerk free beer, and now he always picks against us in the tourney!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback