[Today at 09:38:19 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by MU_Beav
[Today at 09:28:53 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:24:53 AM]

my site phantom wallet login by 4everwarriors
[Today at 09:11:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 519117 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Re: CBS.com SMU pursuing Buzz
« Reply #375 on: March 25, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
I'm assuming in their world we pay our coach under 1 million and we should be in the sweet 16 like Xavier is every other year. I'm sure Buzz stands up for his guys no matter what and that rubs people wrong. In theory it actually makes sense, and if we were paying Crean 2.5 million still on the NCAA/NIT bubble I would probably agree. This is different, hope they realize that.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #376 on: March 25, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »

I talked to someone today(an alum), that usually has good info. He told me that the new admin is not particularly pleased with Buzz and how he does things, specifically how he relates to his players(no idea what that meant and didn't ask). They were going to give Buzz the rest of the year, but after that....It was also told to me, that LW and FR. Pilarsz, do not think that MU can be elite in BB, that Sweet 16 is as far as they can ever go, so why pay Elite type wages to a Coach, when you can pay lesser and get the same results as they are getting now(that's THEIR view on it). Take it FWIW.

It's not like even a third rate coach is going to come in for THAT much less.  Why push out a coach who has the program pointing up to save a few hundred thousand a year?  You lucked into a coach who makes your students happy, your players happy, your fans happy, and your sponsors happy.  He gets you national exposure.  Why get rid of that to save less than what you spend on toilet paper in the dorms?

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »

I talked to someone today(an alum), that usually has good info. He told me that the new admin is not particularly pleased with Buzz and how he does things, specifically how he relates to his players(no idea what that meant and didn't ask). They were going to give Buzz the rest of the year, but after that....It was also told to me, that LW and FR. Pilarsz, do not think that MU can be elite in BB, that Sweet 16 is as far as they can ever go, so why pay Elite type wages to a Coach, when you can pay lesser and get the same results as they are getting now(that's THEIR view on it). Take it FWIW.

Maybe someone needs to show them how much $$$ the program brings in on an annual basis. Plus, someone needs to ask LW and the good Father how alumni would feel if this indeed was the case. If they think the Warrior issue was a sore point, this would be 1,000,000,000,000 times worse.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »

I don't want to believe this because it sounds insane to me. Pilarz is a sharp guy, and Williams appears to be qualified. They both have track records to support major D1 athletics.

However, I appreciate you actually writing it out in a paragraph vs. the small mysterious spinets you were previously writing. Much more constructive to read and discuss it this way.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »

Dude, hate to bust balls, but how the unnatural carnal knowledge do you not follow up on that?

Everything you see, these kids are tethered to the guy and willing to run through brick walls to get his crap done.

Was the finish so emotional because Buzz knew his run was coming to an end? Was it not just seeing a weakened college ball state and knowing he had a top 10 team to make the deep Tournament run? Was the family hug after Murray the result of saying, "soon, soon, we will be somewhere I can run my crap and do this every year without the headaches of the new douchebag A.D. and President?"

These guys seem deeply disconnected from the state of college athletics in 2012. For that, we the people will suffer.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2012, 05:32:24 PM »
It is not about money. It is about the perceived risk that comes long with Buzz. Only money issue if they make change...then they go back to mid major mindset.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2012, 05:33:34 PM »
If this is even close to true, the resulting debacle will rival the move to rid the University of the Warrior nickname. 
I have no influence on anybody at MU as my donations aren't quite up to par, but I know the tirade I would direct towards the computer screen as I would read something like that would be epic.

THE LOVER

• Walk-On
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »
What is the danger that comes with buzz?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
Dude, hate to bust balls, but how the frack do you not follow up on that?

Everything you see, these kids are tethered to the guy and willing to run through brick walls to get his crap done.

Was the finish so emotional because Buzz knew his run was coming to an end? Was it not just seeing a weakened college ball state and knowing he had a top 10 team to make the deep Tournament run? Was the family hug after Murray the result of saying, "soon, soon, we will be somewhere I can run my crap and do this every year without the headaches of the new douchebag A.D. and President?"

These guys seem deeply disconnected from the state of college athletics in 2012. For that, we the people will suffer.

Because I was so distraught and angry and not thinking clearly. He did mention something that the new Admin MAY think that Buzz's boot camp may be treating the players to harshly. I would also ASSUME it's in reference to Buzz having his players backs, regardless. LW wants to do things the Notre Dame way.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »
Dude, hate to bust balls, but how the frack do you not follow up on that?

Just throwing this out there...  could the powers that be not like the way Buzz relates to his players... in that he gives them too much leeway?  Yeah, no doubt they love the guy.  But maybe LW & Co. feel like he needs to discipline them more, instead of being buddies with them.  Maybe they want him to stop being Mr Nice Guy to the players and kick some a$$ and keep them out of trouble, and Buzz doesn't want to play policeman.  Again, just playing devil's advocate.

THE LOVER

• Walk-On
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2012, 05:40:26 PM »
I live in Dallas. You guys can't lose buzz to SMU. Awful fan base. Nobody goes to games etc.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »
Maybe someone needs to show them how much $$$ the program brings in on an annual basis. Plus, someone needs to ask LW and the good Father how alumni would feel if this indeed was the case. If they think the Warrior issue was a sore point, this would be 1,000,000,000,000 times worse.

Wait till the attendance drops by 7,000 a game.  Think of the money they are saving.......

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #387 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
to those saying that Marquette is bigger than one coach - that is what the Admin wants to hear (If Goose's insight are true),

While MU has survived coaching changes in the past:

1)  It will be much harder if it is perceived admin pushed out a potential next Al McGuire
2)  MU hit a miracle home run hiring Buzz when they did
3)  If the admin wants to lower costs of it's next coach - they will also lower interest, support and donations and recruit interest - MU will be taking a step back on the national basketball scene...

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »

Because I was so distraught and angry and not thinking clearly. He did mention something that the new Admin MAY think that Buzz's boot camp may be treating the players to harshly. I would also ASSUME it's in reference to Buzz having his players backs, regardless. LW wants to do things the Notre Dame way.
If he wants to do things the ND way you keep Buzz since he's a proven winner.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:45:12 PM by DCWarriors04 »

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »

I call bull crap on this.  Not on you particularly, but on the statement.

You're trying to tell us that the administration thinks we can only get to the Sweet 16 when just 72 hours ago we were playing for the Elite 8 and shot like crap otherwise we would be there.  Taking on a team we already smoked this year.

I find that statement by your alum friend either incoherent or completely out there.  This is a program that in the last ten years has a Final Four under its belt and two additional Sweet 16's.  If you make it to the Sweet 16, you have a chance for the Elite 8.  

I'm sorry, but when you have the second largest budget in NCAA basketball, pay your coach well over $2 million a year, play in the Big East, suggesting Sweet 16 is as high as you can go when we have surpassed that already and had a chance 72 hours ago strikes me as wildly fanciful.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
It is not about money. It is about the perceived risk that comes long with Buzz. Only money issue if they make change...then they go back to mid major mindset.

There you go again.  Were we in a mid major mindset under Crean?  We haven't been in a mid-major mindset since Mike Deane, that was the last century.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Goose

• All American
« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »
I still want to be wrong but I was bitching about this for two months. This just did not happen over night and reason why he still can happen is because school thinks the fans would never know any better. It is important to share information, good or bad. It makes for more informed opinions and that is positive.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
What is the danger that comes with buzz?

Some in the administration are afraid of some of the news in the media that doesn't put MU in the best of light.  See last year's sexual assault issues.  As administrators, they have to also protect the university's image.  All of us here love MU basketball.  Like most universities, we are in the minority as most professors, administrators, etc view athletics with a skeptical eye.  They provide great canvas to get your name out there and provide a recruiting tool for the university.  There is the flip side that they can bring tremendous harm to the university (see Notre Dame's recent issues, Penn State, Syracuse, USC, etc, etc).

That is the tradeoff and not everyone is crazy about the tradeoff in the world of academia.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »

You're trying to tell us that the administration thinks we can only get to the Sweet 16 when just 72 hours ago we were playing for the Elite 8 and shot like crap otherwise we would be there.  Taking on a team we already smoked this year.

I find that statement by your alum friend either incoherent or completely out there.  This is a program that in the last ten years has a Final Four under its belt and two additional Sweet 16's.  If you make it to the Sweet 16, you have a chance for the Elite 8.  

I'm sorry, but when you have the second largest budget in NCAA basketball, pay your coach well over $2 million a year, play in the Big East, suggesting Sweet 16 is as high as you can go when we have surpassed that already and had a chance 72 hours ago strikes me as wildly fanciful.

For once I agree with hoopaloop.
Your friend is either pulling your leg (or you're pulling ours) or a complete idiot.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »
Wait till the attendance drops by 7,000 a game.  Think of the money they are saving.......

It would depend who they hire.  If they got Wisconsin native Shaka Smart would attendance drop that much?  There were predictions of attendance dropping when Buzz was hired.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #395 on: March 25, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

What you are missing or not getting is the douchebaggery that is LW and yes, Fr. Pilarsz as well. They do NOT care about the BB program like most in charge would. Their "vision" is to improve the University and it's "image", and they are so smart they think that can be done without a relevant BB program. Unfortunately,  I think we are all about to find out. LW came from Notre Dame. Notre Dame has not made a Sweet 16 in many years. But they are credited with being a "prestigious" school. That's fine with the folks at ND. Their BB program doesn't make their school, and that's what they want at MU.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 25, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
Hoop....first time since CUSA that we are going backwards in conference. Things change and so does the target. We spend crazy money to achieve decent levels and may e they think is it really worth it? We spend like we have Kentucky type success and are no better than Xavier.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
I think there is a difference here.  Crean left us, and we were pissed at Crean not the University, so Buzz got a fair shake and opportunity to prove to us he was the guy.  He has done so and many love him. If the University pushes Buzz out, I think the negative feelings are not towards some guy in Indiana, but directly to the University.  Huge difference.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2012, 05:54:35 PM »
We should be mad before new guys make a mistake.

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »
Some in the administration are afraid of some of the news in the media that doesn't put MU in the best of light.  See last year's sexual assault issues.  As administrators, they have to also protect the university's image.  All of us here love MU basketball.  Like most universities, we are in the minority as most professors, administrators, etc view athletics with a skeptical eye.  They provide great canvas to get your name out there and provide a recruiting tool for the university.  There is the flip side that they can bring tremendous harm to the university (see Notre Dame's recent issues, Penn State, Syracuse, USC, etc, etc).

That is the tradeoff and not everyone is crazy about the tradeoff in the world of academia.  

+1

Not sure what's so hard to understand about this.