[Today at 04:41:17 PM]

2024-25 Roster by DFW HOYA
[Today at 03:15:39 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 02:56:18 PM]

Media Rights Update by WhiteTrash
[Today at 12:32:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz needs to be punished...  (Read 11462 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Buzz needs to be punished...
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »
That dance put MU on a much bigger stage. In the 70's we were a disliked team but respected by all. The more air time we get the more respect the boys get. They flat out refuse to lose.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
I don't think Buzz needs to be punished, but he definitely needs to learn from this mistake.  It was a stupid classless move and he embarrassed the program.  He knows it and acknowledged it.  Serious lapse of judgment.  I wonder what we would say if WVU came into the BC and beat us by one and then Huggins danced a polka all over our logo to the tune of "Roll Out the Barrel".  Shame that a great win is overshadowed by player suspensions and and an idiot move by our coach.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with a little celebratory dance in most cases. However, i would guess that Buzz feels he broke with his normal respect for his fellow coaches.

Here's the deal - Buzz respects Huggins. Many of us don't. Buzz sees Huggins as a toughness-teaching 700 game winner. And one that was nice to him when he didn't need to be (Buzz has said this of Huggie on several occasions).

Watch Buzz and Huggie on the clips posted before the game yesterday, there's a genuine respect there.

In a typical post-game Buzz always goes out of his way to show respect to opposing coaches. In this one, he realized his actions would be interpreted as disrespect for Huggins and his program.

In Buzz's mind, that's not who he hopes to be.

And it's not how he wants to teach his players to behave.

So, I can see that Buzz letting the players make him run a lap or two as a pretty good way to show he's as accountable as they are.

Cause that's the kind of guy and coach he tries to be.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 12:51:52 PM »
Punishment:  I would not allow Buzz to coach his team during the first two rounds of the Big East Tournament.  Practice coaching would be acceptable but no 'court' appearances
You forgot the teal, right? Please tell me you forgot the teal.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
stupid thread - no punishment here. If anything Buzz has personality, just like a certain other coach MU had in the late 70s......
Warrior in the class of 2011.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »
No teal was necessary. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
...by the seniors.

I think it would be pretty cool if Buzz let the players decide what his punishment should be for his lapse of judgment last night. That way the players see no one is above the teams reputation and gets rid of any feelings of unfairness of MU being over strict on just players. Probably would generate some really good PR to see Buzz running sprints after practice with Crowder screaming at him, Buzz waking up early to do an extra community service event, or some creative punishment.

People don't seem to understand that the original suggestion for "punishment" was more of a comical PR move than an actual punishment. A video of Buzz running stairs with Crowder and DJO shouting "encouragements" would be pretty entertaining.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
I wonder what we would say if WVU came into the BC and beat us by one and then Huggins danced a polka all over our logo to the tune of "Roll Out the Barrel".  Shame that a great win is overshadowed by player suspensions and and an idiot move by our coach.

He wasn't on the logo.  Not that it makes any difference if he was or not, but he wasn't.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »
People don't seem to understand that the original suggestion for "punishment" was more of a comical PR move than an actual punishment. A video of Buzz running stairs with Crowder and DJO shouting "encouragements" would be pretty entertaining.

agreed. the OP wasn't about whether there should be some objective, official coming down on Buzz. He clearly regretted his dance after (to me this is the primary reason that the comparisons to Al are misplaced and totally irrelevant. Al wouldnt have felt bad/apologized, so to compare Buzz's dance and the fallout to an Al incident is stupid - they arent the same guy by their own [un]apologetic terms, so why should we make them out to be?).  I think Buzz getting "punished" by the guys is a great way to bridge any and all bad feelings that might exist from the suspensions last night, and simultaneously show his remorse.

boyonthedock

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »
The first thing he says is like "I danced. They got mad." with a little smirk on his face. he knows its petty bullcrap and i am just glad we have a fun head coach. I don't think buzz embarrassed any potential recruits at all.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »
Very bad idea. Can't let the inmates run the institution.  That's why Buzz suspended them in the first place.  IF Buzz needs to be punished it needs to come from his boss, Larry who just got done vigorously slapping his hand. I know it's not politically correct, but there is a reason the chain of authority has worked for thousands of years.

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

I'm sorry I apologize if I broke a rule....I am new here so please tell me the significance of 'teal' - is it a way of showing sarcasm?

If it is then I need to make that my permanent color....lol

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
Ah bulls h i t. Buzz knows exactly what he's doin'. And I, as a proud, contributing, double alumnus of MU, is extremely happy, not only that's he's our coach, but also that he knows the difference between right and wrong, and is secure enough in his own skin, to act upon it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »
I'm sorry I apologize if I broke a rule....I am new here so please tell me the significance of 'teal' - is it a way of showing sarcasm?

If it is then I need to make that my permanent color....lol

Don't use teal.  It's funnier when people lose their crap over a joke.

goan

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »

When U of Detroit beat MU during Coach Vitale era, he was dancing away on the court here in Milwaukee.

Great job by Buzz. Loved his dance. Suspension was correct and in true Jesuit tradition. Students have to learn about their responsibility  and team rules.

Great win over WV.

Warriors88

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »
I'm really surprised by how many on this board don't have a problem with the dance last night.  Even Buzz admitted it was a stupid move.

I'm a big fan of Buzz. He holds his players to a certain standard that reflects well on the program.  He needs to hold himself to the same standards.

That being said, it was only one issue.  It's over, move on, and keep winning.

ort5210

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »

HAHAHAH agreed

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »

For one, the "suspensions" may not have been for grievous acts of criminality.  Even the term "suspensions" seemed overdone as a violation that only warrants a 20-minute time out must not be critical.   

Also, it was a dance on the way over to the interview.  No way Buzz even considered the ill-effects until the torches and pitchforks came out in the student section.  Buzz gave a quick i'm sorry as best he could come up with and moved on. 

By now he might as well have shot a student on the court for all the backlash.   I guess it's just a part of getting good.  No one is seething about anything DePaul these days.   

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
stupid thread - no punishment here. If anything Buzz has personality, just like a certain other coach MU had in the late 70s......

Way back then:  "Give 'em hell, Al!"

A modest proposal for now: "Give 'em the two-step, Buzz!"
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »
You're right, Buzz should be punished if he breaks a team rule.  So tell me what team rule he broke by two-stepping to John Denver.

My bet is he did not break a rule so no punishment is necessary.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

Multiple times I've posted and said to myself, "self, teal is redundant on this post - everyone will realize I'm being really, really sarcastic".  But then I go ahead and use the teal anyways, because history has shown, some folks take this board way too seriously.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
IMO the dance was AWESOME. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea and it was definitely blown out of proportion, but I LOVE Buzz's personality! He likes to have fun...that's a GOOD thing!

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
Lapse of judgement???? That dance was amazing! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!!!
I totally agree

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
WV sold out the Big East.  Who caeres about them.  Go Buzz. 

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »
I didn't know coaches weren't allowed to dance to songs. I would have no issues with another coaching dancing after a pure meltdown by our teams specially of they played with out 4 key contributors for a half.

Him dancing was not as disrespectful as people make it out to be. And I'd you think it's appalling or completely disrespectful, sounds like you got your panties in a wad and you need a drink followed by a lesson from the fun police.

Love buzz, his antics, his emotion, and how hard this team plays for him. Two step all you want buzz.

feedback