2024 Mock Drafts by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:14:24 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 11:09:40 AM]

2025 Bracketology by wadesworld
[Today at 10:50:55 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 09:54:58 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What baseball team do you support?

Chicago Cubs
36 (28.8%)
Milwaukee Brewers
44 (35.2%)
Chicago White Sox
18 (14.4%)
Minnesota Twins
3 (2.4%)
Other
24 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown  (Read 25614 times)

tonyreeder

Re: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »
I don't know Big Sky.   That division is bad-real bad.   Pirates and Reds have no chance.  Astros have nothing after Oswalt in the rotation.  Wandy Rodriquez?  Cardinals without Carpenter have no chance.  IMO, the Cubs are the only other team that can contend.   I do like the Cubs pitching but that lineup is apt to struggle.  Too many guys who strike out a ton.   I'm not convinced the Brew Crew is a juggernaut either but that division is putrid.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
I fully expect to see the Brewers run away with the division.

I fully expect to see JJ Hardy as the best hitter/slugger in the NL.

I fully expect to see Cappy, Suppan, and Bush all contend for the NL Cy Young.

I fully expect to see Johnny Estrad to have his best year along with Prince Fielder, Ricky Weeks, and Geoff Jenkins.

I fully expect to continue to see Prince Fielder round the bases with disgusting Skoal stain across his jersey as he will hit 65 home runs this year.

I fully expected with all of these expectations that Brewers still average under 25k a game.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2007, 02:07:53 PM »
apparently you haven't looked at the Brewers schedule they have played so far... the past 20 some games before the Washington series was all against the NL Central... so, even though they are playing not the "best teams" you said, they have played all teams in their division.  From April 13th to May 6th, nothing but NL Central teams.  What does that say, that they are FAR better than the Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Reds and Pirates.

Not sure what your point is, Tony.  Let's recap

It is a fact that the Brewers have only played one team with a winning record.  I pointed out that we'll learn more about them in the coming month (which is likely true given that the Mets, Dodgers, Tigers, Twins, and Braves are coming up).  I also pointed out that I think they'll run away with the division (which demonstrates that I think they are 'FAR better than the Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Reds and Pirates' as well).

BTW, I never said the Brewers have not yet played the "best teams".

tonyreeder

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2007, 02:53:23 PM »
Not sure if you're referring to me or Mayor McCheese since you copied his post.  Anyhoo, I agree with you. We'll find out a lot about the Brewers over the next few weeks but even if they struggle a bit I think they have a real shot to win that division going away. I'm actually a die hard Red Sox fan who lives in Milwaukee.  I do cheer for the Brew Crew and consider them my favorite NL team but I bleed Red Sox.  The first month and a half of the season have been pretty darn fun.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »
I don't know Big Sky.   That division is bad-real bad.   Pirates and Reds have no chance.  Astros have nothing after Oswalt in the rotation.  Wandy Rodriquez?  Cardinals without Carpenter have no chance.  IMO, the Cubs are the only other team that can contend.   I do like the Cubs pitching but that lineup is apt to struggle.  Too many guys who strike out a ton.   I'm not convinced the Brew Crew is a juggernaut either but that division is putrid.

I'd agree it isn't a strong division.  I don't think the Astros, Cardinals and Cubs shouldn't be counted out just yet.  All have holes and issues, as do the Brewers.  Carpenter is not out for the season...if he pitches the last two months of season as expected, and Mulder is injury free as expected, that helps them.  Their questions are leadoff hitter and one more outfielder with extra base power.  They'll have to add those.  They add people every year seemingly, so I will wait and see with them and what they do.  But they won't have their 100 win teams of recent years of course.  If the Astros can keep competitive starting pitching, they'll be around, regardless of offense, and that is picking up for them,.. and the Cubs will need some starting pitching to compete later in season.  Don't like the up the middle portion of the Cubs for a full season.  I like the Brewers this year especially based on the competition's issues this season...but I don't think they are good enough just yet to run away with anything.   

bean

• Walk-On
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »
The important thing to remember is that no matter how bad the division is, the Brewers are winning against the teams they need to beat.  Even if they struggle a little bit in May, they'll just rebound when they play in their division again.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
Dead on comment
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »
How does it make Brewer fans feel they haven't played a team over .500 at the time of the game and only one of their opponents are now better than .500?

How does it feel to invest $300 million in the off-season and barely keep a .500 record?

Who are the fans going to blame this season on now that Dusty is gone?

Cubs fans don't care about how much is spent, they just want to win.  Same with many other markets.  They don't care about the payroll. 

The fact that "Cubs fan" keep going to Wrigley when they lose year after year (decade after decade?) is proof that winning is not that important to them. 80% of "Cubs fans" are really Wrigley Field fans.  I know very, very few fans of the Chicago Cubs baseball team. Most people go to games at Wrigley Field for the sunshine and beer. Which is fine, it's a good time if that's what you are looking for as a baseball experience. But they obviously care very little about winning.

Hence if Wrigley Field goes, so do the fans of the  "Lovable Losers"
I became a White Sox fan even though I was from the Northside because "Lovable Losers" was what Cubs Nation and the Marketing departments always tried to push down their throats.  I have never once heard about any White Sox Curse or anythign like that even though they had almost the same Championship Droughts.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2007, 06:44:47 PM »
What does that say, that they are FAR better than the Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Reds and Pirates.

The Cubs are 3-3 vs the Brewers, I would not call that "FAR better"

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
If 80% of Cub fans at Wrigley Field are not "real" Cub fans?  How do you explain that they were 5th last in year in road attendance percentage?  This was in a year, that they were AWFUL from May on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=away_pct&year=2006&seasonType=2

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2007, 02:45:57 AM »

I fully expect to see Johnny Estrad to have his best year along with Prince Fielder, Ricky Weeks, and Geoff Jenkins.

I fully expect to continue to see Prince Fielder round the bases with disgusting Skoal stain across his jersey as he will hit 65 home runs this year.

I fully expected with all of these expectations that Brewers still average under 25k a game.

I expect much of this to occur except for the last one. I went to the game against the Nationals on Wednesday, a day game. There were over 24,000 people in the park. for a day game at Miller Park during the week.  This has not been a common occurance for the Crew in recent history at all and if they can go .500 on the road during this tough stretch coming up and win their home series, the attendance averages this year for the Brewers will be closer to 30,000 than under 25k.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »

I expect much of this to occur except for the last one. I went to the game against the Nationals on Wednesday, a day game. There were over 24,000 people in the park. for a day game at Miller Park during the week.  This has not been a common occurance for the Crew in recent history at all and if they can go .500 on the road during this tough stretch coming up and win their home series, the attendance averages this year for the Brewers will be closer to 30,000 than under 25k.

And I thought White Sox fans tended to be unrealistic.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2007, 11:16:42 AM »

And I thought White Sox fans tended to be unrealistic.

You are obviously clueless. Last year the Crew averaged 28,835. This year, the Crew are already well ahead of pace in ticket sales of last year. The Crew are currently averaging 29,368 and as every informed baseball fan knows attendance only goes up once school lets out.

But I like to throw handfuls...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2007, 11:19:04 AM »
If 80% of Cub fans at Wrigley Field are not "real" Cub fans?  How do you explain that they were 5th last in year in road attendance percentage?  This was in a year, that they were AWFUL from May on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=away_pct&year=2006&seasonType=2

Last time I checked the sCrUBS played their home games at Wrigley not their road games.  ???

🏀

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »
Inflated averages by far.

The Brewers have to giveaway more to get fans into the stadium. Show me 25000 on weekday with the Pirates in town without a giveaway or a 1/2price sale. Then I'll be impressed, but still 17000 behind the Cubs.

Must suck to have to rely on school getting out for attendance inside the inoperating airplane hangar.

And I believe the point with road attendace is that Cubs fans are everywhere, and go to see them everywhere, not just filling up Miller Park every series. And since Cubs fans are everywhere, they aren't just Wrigley Field fans.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 11:54:42 AM by marqptm »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2007, 11:58:26 AM »

The Brewers have to giveaway more to get fans into the stadium. Show me 25000 on weekday with the Pirates in town without a giveaway or a 1/2price sale. Then I'll be impressed.

Must suck to have to rely on school getting out for attendance inside the inoperating airplane hangar.

you really seem to be reaching.

by the way, last wednesday during the day there were 24,658 to see the worst team in baseball.

i also dont get the airplane comment. if you said iron vagina - i would get it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2007, 12:02:15 PM »

The Brewers have to giveaway more to get fans into the stadium. Show me 25000 on weekday with the Pirates in town without a giveaway or a 1/2price sale. Then I'll be impressed.

by the way, last wednesday during the day there were 24,658 to see the worst team in baseball.

1.) Iron Vagina, that's hilarious. Very impressed.
2.) I always thought from the Southeast side it just looked like an airplane hangar.
3.) The Brewers have more giveaways than Marquette Basketball. Bobblehead Fridays are sellouts when other Fridays aren't. Free tickets for Brewer games are everywhere, 1/2 price tickets are common, $1 hot dogs days. For people ripping Wrigley for people there to be at Wrigley, there are plenty of people going for their bobblehead, cheap food, or because it was a sale.

Also, last Wednesday was this:
Free Prostate Cancer Screenings
7:00am - 3:00pm - Free Prostate Cancer Screenings at Miller Park (northeast corner of ballpark near Friday's). All men who receive a Prostate Cancer Screening that day will receive two free tickets to a future Milwaukee Brewers game. No appointment necessary. Free and Confidential.
Sponsored by Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:03:54 PM by marqptm »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »
The point on road attendance is that the Cubs are popular everywhere, not just Wrigley Field.  I used last year as an example because the Cubs were AWFUL last year, with their best player on the DL for most of the season.  Still fans came out for the 6th best road percentage in baseball.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2007, 02:31:50 PM »
      Cubs this year still only have th 8th highest payroll in the league and its under 100 Million.

That's most certainly not true.  The Cubs are well over a $100 million dollar payroll.

http://www.hardballdollars.com/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=Cubs07

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »
Chicago is the 3rd largest city.  Many people relocate to it and from it.(Jan-May weather is awful).  And many people grew up watching it on WGN nationally, when it was one of few games on nationally.  I would expect the Cubs to be in top road attendance every year.  The Cubs should only be comapred to the largest market teams, or teams with large followings like the Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, etc...when it comes to road or home attendance.  The Cubs also have the longest running radio affiliate in baseball, WGN Radio...other teams have switched over the years.  Comparing Cubs money, attendance, etc...with the Brewers is silly and ignorant. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 03:12:28 PM by BigSky »

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2007, 05:25:42 PM »

2.) I always thought from the Southeast side it just looked like an airplane hangar.
3.) The Brewers have more giveaways than Marquette Basketball. Bobblehead Fridays are sellouts when other Fridays aren't. Free tickets for Brewer games are everywhere, 1/2 price tickets are common, $1 hot dogs days. For people ripping Wrigley for people there to be at Wrigley, there are plenty of people going for their bobblehead, cheap food, or because it was a sale.

7:00am - 3:00pm - Free Prostate Cancer Screenings at Miller Park (northeast corner of ballpark near Friday's). All men who receive a Prostate Cancer Screening that day will receive two free tickets to a future Milwaukee Brewers game. No appointment necessary. Free and Confidential.

every friday they giveaway a bobblehead... so every friday is a sellout then... sorry that the Brewers like to give back to their fans, instead of the Cubs who just steal your money to over pay average players (see Jacque Jones, Juan Pierre(when he was there))
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ilovefreeway

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2007, 05:29:52 PM »
      Cubs this year still only have th 8th highest payroll in the league and its under 100 Million.

That's most certainly not true.  The Cubs are well over a $100 million dollar payroll.

ESPN has the Cubs at $99mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=chc

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »
Multiple things going on here.  First, ESPN's figures are only for players on the 26  man roster.  So, Mark Prior's nearly $3.6 million salary this year, and others such as Glendan Rusch etc...are getting paid not on that list. 

Also, depends on contracts....i.e....Marquis is getting $21 million over 3 years...but not sure how much it is counting his first year.  Soriano made $10 million last year, and his salary was listed as $10 million this year by ESPN, when I am almost certain he gets a big number up front, way higher than $10 million...his contract averages $17 million per year....and the numbers will very year to year over 8 years totaling $136 million.  But I believe he is getting $17 million this year, not the $10 million he received last season.  ....and so on....not all of those guys have big backloaded deals.

The Cubs are paying a LOT of $$.  Nothing wrong with it, well within the current rules, but they are in the upper echelon of payrolls. 

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »

Yeah, ESPN is wrong and outdated.  Soriano is making upwards of $17 million per year, Aramis is making $15 (he signed for 5/$75 this winter), and Lilly is also wrong.  Those payroll numbers they have are from last year.  A lot of those guys are making 500k-1 million more due to raises in arbitration. 

Funny enough, the White Sox are nowhere near $109 million.  That's mainly because they have Thome making $15 million -- that part is true, but the Sox are only on the hook for about $7 million of that per year.  They also might still be getting a couple million from Arizona for Vazquez, although I'm not sure about that...

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2007, 01:25:38 AM »

Yeah, ESPN is wrong and outdated.  Soriano is making upwards of $17 million per year, Aramis is making $15 (he signed for 5/$75 this winter), and Lilly is also wrong.  Those payroll numbers they have are from last year.  A lot of those guys are making 500k-1 million more due to raises in arbitration. 

Funny enough, the White Sox are nowhere near $109 million.  That's mainly because they have Thome making $15 million -- that part is true, but the Sox are only on the hook for about $7 million of that per year.  They also might still be getting a couple million from Arizona for Vazquez, although I'm not sure about that...

Just because a guy signs for 5 years $75 million for example doesn'tmean he will get $15 million each season.  That can be priced out in many ways...but it will total that amount.  Some guys get bigmoney upfront or backloaded or restructure so other guys can be signed.  If what I read is correct, Ramirez is getting $13 million this year...but yes generally speaking his deal will pay $75 million when it is finished.     

Chili

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2007, 03:08:45 AM »

So you are saying you are for prostate cancer. you sob!

watch for falling concrete

feedback