[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: My Brother Freeway  (Read 5545 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
My Brother Freeway
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
Looks like Freeway's sister is trying to raise funds for a documentary about Mike
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ileftmyartinsanfran/my-brother-freeway-mike-mccarter-a-milwaukee-docum?ref=city

MY BROTHER FREEWAY MIKE MC CARTER is the first documentary that follows  "Freeway" Mike Mc Carter, Milwaukee's legendary "Bucks super fan" and sports mascot who happens to be a high-functioning autistic. This documentary will bring attention to the struggle autistic people face while highlighting the sports brotherhood of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Mike is subject to man urban legends that we'll get to the bottom of as we interview scores of coaches players friends and fans!

MY BROTHER FREEWAY MIKE MC CARTER  shows that often autistic people are considered weird tweekers and Mike is no exception. Leaving them vulnerable to bullying, mocking and physical assault. Why do they talk to themselves? Why do they dance and move stiffly? What makes Mike and other autistics focus on sports and music? After watching our completed film you come will understand their often mysterious and to us, genius behaviors while meeting his support system -the city of Milwaukee.

Though it focuses on Mikes passion about sport, MY BROTHER FREEWAY MIKE MC CARTER  serve as an example of how living as an autistic affects an entire city. The acceptance of Mike as a beloved mascot highlights the issue of sports brotherhood and Midwestern family-friendly solidarity

http://mybrotherfreewaymikemccarter.blogspot.com/

Bocephys

• All American
Re: My Brother Freeway
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »
If the production value of the video is any indication, it doesn't look too promising.  Though I did enjoy the over the top use of exclamation points and would probably go watch it if it came out.

By the way, did he actually get hit by a city bus and get free tickets as his settlement?  I've obviously always heard that rumor but never heard it validated.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
Not sure about Bucks, Brewers and UWM but he gets his MU tickets from Goolsbys

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Oh dear lord.  I'd watch this if were about five minutes in length but that's about it.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:11 PM »
Oh dear lord.  I'd watch this if were about five minutes in length but that's about it.

sultan, never saw that softer, kinder side of you.  must have been all that campus ministry.  if they can pull this off, i think it would be cool.  he was a legend back in 1977.  always seeming to pop up out of no where, getting the crowd going, not many really know the real story, including me.  i think, if done propery, it could reflect well on the milwaukee community and marquette.   i just hope they don't use his story to take this autism-thing too far.  they are already expanding the definition to the point that i may even be autisistic.  many want to point at all these unscientific,  potential causes of the syndrome and well, just don't water it down and keep it real 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »
i just hope they don't use his story to take this autism-thing too far.  they are already expanding the definition to the point that i may even be autisistic.  many want to point at all these unscientific,  potential causes of the syndrome and well, just don't water it down and keep it real 

Not sure what 'autisistic' is, but you'll be happy to know that Asperger's may be removed from the DSM (which would be a mistake).  There are some phenomenal high-functioning autistic people in this world, but I think McCarter may have some other issues.  ZFB would know more, those two dated on and off for a few years.

The FBI screwed up in Butler, PA.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »
Not sure what 'autisistic' is, but you'll be happy to know that Asperger's may be removed from the DSM (which would be a mistake).  There are some phenomenal high-functioning autistic people in this world, but I think McCarter may have some other issues.  ZFB would know more, those two dated on and off for a few years.

I'm not autistic, just well-hung.   8-)

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »
Part of the money you give will go towards flights to Milwaukee, San Francisco and North America.

North America?

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »
Part of the money you give will go towards flights to Milwaukee, San Francisco and North America.

North America?

good catch! north america-well you know, just kinda all over the place up here, over there and back.  but back to this autistic thing, once it's start getting political, look out!  the so called "famous" people start or have already started coming out with their kid or their next door neighbor's kid has this and is characterized by these types of behaviors and is being treated with fill-in-the blank drugs and treatments, but is very expensive and insurances won't cover it.  then the federal dollars that we don't have will start pouring in and next thing ya know, everyone is "autistic" and eligible for some gubment/obama stash.  keeping it real will allow real kids with this malady get real treatment.  this was how ritalin and your hyperactive kids were invented.  yes it was an issue until moms started coaching their kids on how to be "hot-wired" and then getting gubment $$for their edumacation and ritalin which they sold on the black market and bought crack and malt liqour

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
good catch! north america-well you know, just kinda all over the place up here, over there and back.  but back to this autistic thing, once it's start getting political, look out!  the so called "famous" people start or have already started coming out with their kid or their next door neighbor's kid has this and is characterized by these types of behaviors and is being treated with fill-in-the blank drugs and treatments, but is very expensive and insurances won't cover it.  then the federal dollars that we don't have will start pouring in and next thing ya know, everyone is "autistic" and eligible for some gubment/obama stash.  keeping it real will allow real kids with this malady get real treatment.  this was how ritalin and your hyperactive kids were invented.  yes it was an issue until moms started coaching their kids on how to be "hot-wired" and then getting gubment $$for their edumacation and ritalin which they sold on the black market and bought crack and malt liqour

You're talking about different things, though.  Address the issue if you're going to speak on it.  The issue isn't gov't b.s. and trying to work the system.  The issue is the relevance of an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis and the APA's recognition of it... what is 'keeping it real' in terms of autism?  Got a definition or just yappin with ignorance?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »

"You see, it would be this mat that you put on the floor and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »

"You see, it would be this mat that you put on the floor and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."

I was thinking mOre of Milton...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »
From the Filmmaker's Bio:

"Dee Dee Russell is an American Film Institute award winning filmmaker and public cable access tv host who work address race, sex, class and the beauty industry with from a satirical perspective."

I'll take 'Four Discussion Topics that Make Americans Uncomfortable' for $1000, Alex.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
You're talking about different things, though.  Address the issue if you're going to speak on it.  The issue isn't gov't b.s. and trying to work the system.  The issue is the relevance of an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis and the APA's recognition of it... what is 'keeping it real' in terms of autism?  Got a definition or just yappin with ignorance?

i did address the issue-keeping it real is not expanding and diluting the diagnosis such that it can be abused and the patients that truely have it, get the attention they need.  as i mentioned in my quote, such as the ritalin therapy, it was abused and took money away from those that needed it.  keeping it real is not allowing abuse of the system and over diagnosing kids.  many kids can initially appear say hyper and be just a phase or exhibit "normal kid behavior"  but under the watch of the so called "experts" they were quick to put them on some drug, etc etc.  another example was the m.s. diagnosis.  as you know, they have been trying to find a cause.  well, one theory was dental amalgams(silver fillings)  well guess what?  all these m.s. patients ran to their dentists to have all their silver fillings removed with the hope that they would be cured or at least get better and therefore, umm live better lives.  who benefits from this??  as predicted by most, silver fillings had nothing to do with m.s. and here we are back to possible latent viruses, dna and the such.  i didn't mean to write a book on this, but when i get a beat down from one who cannot comprehend, i felt i better try to expand and help jay out a little bit.  if you're still having difficulties, stop by my office and i'll draw you a picture.  or just follow the adhd and oc evolutions

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
Thanks, wyzgy.. you did answer my question.  You're just yapping with ignorance.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
This kind of project sounds more like a Marquette communication class project.
SS Marquette

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Thanks, wyzgy.. you did answer my question.  You're just yapping with ignorance.

keep trolling gaybee.  easy to critique something you obviously have no opinion on.  this started out as a sincere topic and you have to come in here and p!ss all over it :-*
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:16:28 PM by wyzgy »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 07:02:08 AM »
keep trolling gaybee.  easy to critique something you obviously have no opinion on.  this started out as a sincere topic and you have to come in here and p!ss all over it :-*

JayBee actually has a valid point.  You ramble about so many different things in one paragraph that you sound like a drugged out conspiracy theorist.  And you somehow expect everyone to know what the hell you are talking about... and then when people say that you aren't making sense, you say they are stupid, or trolling.

I know you have always added 'flowery' language in an attempt to relate or be funny (actually I'm not sure), but it seems to always just take away from the point you are trying to make.

Honestly, reading your posts is like trying to decipher a 12 year old's text messages.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »
All this rambling...and I'm left thinking what prescription drug or diagnosis hasn't been misdiagnosed or over-prescribed?  Your rip Obama for handing out money to people with disabilities because some take advantage of the system, yet you seem to simply leave out the lobbyists who give big money to the Republicans on behalf of drug companies.  I have many family and friends in medicine.  They don't push drugs nearly as hard as the drug companies do.  I do appreciate your oversimplified analysis of the situation.  It must be easy to live in your world. 

i did address the issue-keeping it real is not expanding and diluting the diagnosis such that it can be abused and the patients that truely have it, get the attention they need.  as i mentioned in my quote, such as the ritalin therapy, it was abused and took money away from those that needed it.  keeping it real is not allowing abuse of the system and over diagnosing kids.  many kids can initially appear say hyper and be just a phase or exhibit "normal kid behavior"  but under the watch of the so called "experts" they were quick to put them on some drug, etc etc.  another example was the m.s. diagnosis.  as you know, they have been trying to find a cause.  well, one theory was dental amalgams(silver fillings)  well guess what?  all these m.s. patients ran to their dentists to have all their silver fillings removed with the hope that they would be cured or at least get better and therefore, umm live better lives.  who benefits from this??  as predicted by most, silver fillings had nothing to do with m.s. and here we are back to possible latent viruses, dna and the such.  i didn't mean to write a book on this, but when i get a beat down from one who cannot comprehend, i felt i better try to expand and help jay out a little bit.  if you're still having difficulties, stop by my office and i'll draw you a picture.  or just follow the adhd and oc evolutions

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »
All this rambling...and I'm left thinking what prescription drug or diagnosis hasn't been misdiagnosed or over-prescribed?  Your rip Obama for handing out money to people with disabilities because some take advantage of the system, yet you seem to simply leave out the lobbyists who give big money to the Republicans on behalf of drug companies.  I have many family and friends in medicine.  They don't push drugs nearly as hard as the drug companies do.  I do appreciate your oversimplified analysis of the situation.  It must be easy to live in your world.

help me out here-where did i rip obama??  

otherwise  thanks for the appreciation, but in order to under-simplify the situation, i would have to ramble some more and i don't think it will clarify it any more to some on this board  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:05:09 AM by wyzgy »