[June 28, 2024, 08:20:44 PM]

Media Rights Update by MUDPT
[June 28, 2024, 07:07:34 PM]

Kolek picked by Portland by avid1010
[June 28, 2024, 06:51:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by mugrad_89
[June 28, 2024, 01:00:19 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wade and Heat  (Read 33992 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Wade and Heat
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
I hope Lebron wins 10 just to piss people off.  I find it hilarious that big market teams lure guys all the time to play for them with no repercussions at all, but this guy chose to leave but because he had a "decision" televised it gets everyone so damn bent.  When Dwight Howard goes to the Lakers or Bulls or wherever next year, people aren't going to give the guy the 3rd degree, the very same fans of these teams that whine incessantly at James.  If James went to the Bulls, would Bulls fans be all anti-Lebron?  LOL...of course not.

+1

Bulls fans are crying almost as much as people from Cleveland.  I hope LeBron and Wade light the Bulls up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
That trade also gave two championships to the Lakers on a silver platter....plus three straight trips to the NBA Finals.   Put another way, commissioners that are interested in competitive balance wouldn't let this stuff happen, especially for unproven players like that. 

Commissioners interested in competitive balance wouldn't allow trades that benefit both teams?
Yes, the trade helped the Lakers win two championships. It also played a large part in building the first and only Grizzlies team to win a playoff series in the franchise's 15-year history.
Why would a commissioner block such a deal?

Teams in every professional American sport trade established, proven stars for unproven players or draft picks. Why does this one trade bother you more than the hundreds of others?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
That trade also gave two championships to the Lakers on a silver platter....plus three straight trips to the NBA Finals.   Put another way, commissioners that are interested in competitive balance wouldn't let this stuff happen, especially for unproven players like that. 

The NBA is the least competitively balanced league in existence and has been for years.  Why would Stern start being interested in competitive balance now?

Go Bulls
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
The NBA is the least competitively balanced league in existence and has been for years.  Why would Stern start being interested in competitive balance now?

Lakers/Celtics' 33 combined titles account for more than half of the 64 championships in NBA history.   just sayin

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
I hope Lebron wins 10 just to piss people off.  I find it hilarious that big market teams lure guys all the time to play for them with no repercussions at all, but this guy chose to leave but because he had a "decision" televised it gets everyone so damn bent. 

I do think that there is an element of "public rejection" with "The Decision" that inflamed people's emotions...and James is to blame for that.

However, I think that Dan Gilbert's over-the-top reaction to it was the bigger problem. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »
Wade's character has been revealed.  NBA manwhore.  After all his "aw shucks, I love my wife and my kids" nonsense when he was at MU,  I expected more.

His image at MU was a well-crafted.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »
I hope Lebron wins 10 just to piss people off.  I find it hilarious that big market teams lure guys all the time to play for them with no repercussions at all, but this guy chose to leave but because he had a "decision" televised it gets everyone so damn bent.  When Dwight Howard goes to the Lakers or Bulls or wherever next year, people aren't going to give the guy the 3rd degree, the very same fans of these teams that whine incessantly at James.  If James went to the Bulls, would Bulls fans be all anti-Lebron?  LOL...of course not.

Doesn't much matter...BRING ON THE LOCKOUT. Can't wait. 

Of course Bulls fans wouldn't be anti-Lebron.  The point is, Lebron has gone from being one of the most liked players in the league to where he is now by being a douche.  It has nothing to do with market size or where he is playing.  He hamstrung Cleveland for years by not signing a long term deal and then claimed they didn't bring in the right talent.  Well nobody in their prime wanted to come to Cleveland if Lebron might leave.  He also talked at length about Cleveland being HIS city, and all that hometown crap, and then he left them in a publicly humiliating way, and then turned around and said he and his Akron buddies always disliked Cleveland anyways.  It wasn't just that he left, it was his way of doing everything the last few years.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
Wade's character has been revealed.  NBA manwhore.  After all his "aw shucks, I love my wife and my kids" nonsense when he was at MU,  I expected more.

Your outrage at Wade being loyal to the team that drafted him is adorable.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
Of course Bulls fans wouldn't be anti-Lebron.  The point is, Lebron has gone from being one of the most liked players in the league to where he is now by being a douche.  It has nothing to do with market size or where he is playing.  He hamstrung Cleveland for years by not signing a long term deal and then claimed they didn't bring in the right talent.  Well nobody in their prime wanted to come to Cleveland if Lebron might leave.  He also talked at length about Cleveland being HIS city, and all that hometown crap, and then he left them in a publicly humiliating way, and then turned around and said he and his Akron buddies always disliked Cleveland anyways.  It wasn't just that he left, it was his way of doing everything the last few years.

For the record, I always thought LeBron was kind of a douche, but that has been negated by the overall awesomeness that our Wade, of all players, was the one he wanted to play with. Not a certain city, or fanbase...but Wade.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »

I do think that there is an element of "public rejection" with "The Decision" that inflamed people's emotions...and James is to blame for that.

I think it had less to do with public rejection than with over-the-top narcissism of "The Decision."
Combine that with a decision that indicates LeBron is more interested in living it up on South Beach and taking the easiest possible route to an NBA title than in carving out a legacy as a generational great, toss in a Nike commercial with a sickening amount of self-pity, and it's a PR disaster from which he'll probably never recover.

Note: LeBron has every right to live it up on South Beach and easiest possible route to a title, but the public has the same right to be critical of him or lose respect for him because of it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »

His image at MU was a well-crafted.

He learned from the master, though I always felt he had much substance than his mentor.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
Chicos, I've hated LeBron well before he went to Miami.

He's constantly dancing on the court despite not winning anything.  He disappears in the playoffs.  Yet he calls himself "King James".  I didn't realize winning a High School State Title got you that title?

I think a lot of people on here are crapping on the Bulls just because they hate everything from Illinois.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
Lakers/Celtics' 33 combined titles account for more than half of the 64 championships in NBA history.   just sayin

How many of those occurred when there were 8 to 14 teams in the league?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
Commissioners interested in competitive balance wouldn't allow trades that benefit both teams?
Yes, the trade helped the Lakers win two championships. It also played a large part in building the first and only Grizzlies team to win a playoff series in the franchise's 15-year history.
Why would a commissioner block such a deal?

Teams in every professional American sport trade established, proven stars for unproven players or draft picks. Why does this one trade bother you more than the hundreds of others?

Pakuni....you need to do some history lessons on trades denied by the NFL, NBA (pre Stern) and especially in the MLB because they had serious issues on objective outcomes.  As you noted earlier, several teams screamed bloody murder as they should have.  I've lived in this town long enough, have enough friends at the Lakers organization to know they get what they want and they don't even hide it.  They wink and smile because they know it's going to happen.  Trade Divac for Kobe Bryant...no problem.  Trade Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie and two picks for Pao Gasol....two picks that are crapshoot how they turn out (lucky for Memphis they did turn out, of course we all know with the NBA they won't be in Memphis long), etc.  Don't be shocked to see Howard here next and all the ankle breakers can reload their cars with their Laker flags. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »

Note: LeBron has every right to live it up on South Beach and easiest possible route to a title, but the public has the same right to be critical of him or lose respect for him because of it.

Or be hypocritical when he didn't go to their team

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2011, 08:14:13 PM »

And when it is all said and done, most folks will put it behind them except for a few.  He'll win a few titles...I honestly believe as some NBA execs (Lakers guys I know in particular) that this will be the WORST Heat team in the next five years.  All this gloom and doom they won't be able to sign anyone...rubbish.  He'll win a few, hopefully not act like a prick in the process and people will understand this is what he wanted.  Folks will mild their stance a bit because Lord only knows America loves to forgive.   He got some bad advice, the decision was really stupid but if he went to Bulls then Bulls fans would not have an issue with the "decision" neither would Lakers fans if he came here. 

He did not hamstring Cleveland for years.  These are the rules by which the CBA operates.  Other players don't want to play in Cleveland, that's a fact of life.  This is why it's the same franchises in the NBA that typically win...there are exceptions but for the most part the star players want to migrate to play for the Lakers, Celtics and a few others.  Howard can't get out of Orlando fast enough, but I'll bet very few people here are going to scream "he hamstrung poor Orlando"....please....especially if he dons the colors of their team.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »
So, if Orlando has no shot, even with no state income tax, then the Bucks might as well take the gaspipe.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
Chicos, I've hated LeBron well before he went to Miami.

He's constantly dancing on the court despite not winning anything.  He disappears in the playoffs.  Yet he calls himself "King James".  I didn't realize winning a High School State Title got you that title?

I think a lot of people on here are crapping on the Bulls just because they hate everything from Illinois.

Yea Lebron really dissapered that last series against the Celtics ::)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
Yea Lebron really dissapered that last series against the Celtics ::)

Contests to Lebron on not disappearing in one meaningful series in the last 8 years.  And of course he celebrated like a clown afterwards for winning a second round series.

And that wasn't the same quality Celtic team as from years past.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Howard can't get out of Orlando fast enough, but I'll bet very few people here are going to scream "he hamstrung poor Orlando"....please....especially if he dons the colors of their team.

This is exactly right, and for the life of me, I cannot understand where the LeBron criticism is coming from. Was the announcement thing ridiculous and stupid? Yes it was. But at the same time, I have no idea why anyone cares. What does it matter? The guy is the best player in the league, and everyone knows it. He chose where to play based on money, location, and the team around him, and people are going to hold that against him? Why, because he decided to go somewhere they didn't want him to? Because they didn't like the way he announced it? That's equally stupid. Jealousy, plain and simple.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »
Why was it that the Celtics traded Perkins?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
Damn.  Bulls played like crap tonight but still made a game of it.  Shot 35% and missed its free throws.  Have to take one in Miami.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
Great win for the Heat.....glad to see Udonis back contributing......closing game on 12-2 run was beautiful to watch.

Road teams job is to win one and steal home court back.....CHECK!

Go Heat and Go Wade.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
darn - you mean the bulls didnt hit 50% of their 3's again?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »
I must disagree with the notion that LeBron disappears in the playoffs.  I distinctly remember him single handedly beating the Pistons at the end of games in the '07 playoffs and that was when the Pistons were "the team" in the Eastern Conference.  Also, I know statistics don't always tell the whole story but his career playoff statistics are extremely similar to his career regular season statistics.

For the record, I think he's a sore loser and "The Decision" was an awful thing to do to Cleveland.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:48:35 PM by MarquetteFan26 »