[Today at 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[Today at 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What does Junior Cadougan bring to the court, especially on offense?  (Read 14472 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: The question remains
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »
Do you really not understand the difference in maturity and talent between high school and college basketball?  He's playing against MEN now.  If anything "happened" to him it's that he's returning from a devastating, potentially career-ending injury that has slowed his development.

I think the "inexperience" and "maturity" excuse is hogwash.

First, we have had a long history of seeing players contribute from day one--point guards especially--Dominic James, Tony Miller, Cordell Henry.

And the point guards that were not starters in their first game of their freshman year were certainly effective at the start of their second year, and didn't start because they were 2nd on the depth chart--Travis Diener behind Henry, Aaron Hutchins behind Miller.

We're now in the middle of Cadougan's sophomore year, and he's still being treated with kid gloves with a "he's really only a freshman" excuse--as if our history is that it takes our PGs a couple of years to adjust to college ball.

Cadougan didn't miss 52 weeks with his injury--he went out in mid-September, and was back in the lineup by late January--only about 14 weeks missed.  He practiced with the team in late January and all through February and March, participated in all the normal post-season and summer activities.  Yes, that put him behind other players in his class, but not by a full year as so many seem to think.  

I don't know what the issue is.  Maybe he just had a lower ceiling than expected.  Maybe his injury caused irreparable harm to his game and he'll never be able to rise to the expectations set by our PGs over the last 20 years.  Maybe he hasn't been unleashed yet.  

I don't know what the real issue is, but chalking it up to inexperience and maturity isn't consistent with our 20+ year history with point guards.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
Re: All of that and heart, too?
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
You're a buffoon. Junior had a great game last night.

I'm not sure he had a great game, but he was good enough that MU made their charge when he was at the point.  His ball handling does tend to go south near the end of a game, though.  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: The question remains
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 09:04:47 AM »
First, we have had a long history of seeing players contribute from day one--point guards especially--Dominic James, Tony Miller, Cordell Henry.

This list has a player with a long NBA career, the number 2 all-time scorer in MU history.

Was this the expectation coming in?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:18:09 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Boone

• All American
Re: What does Junior Cadougan bring to the court, especially on offense?
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
20 minutes
0 for 2 from the field
2 for 4 from the line
zero assists
2 turnovers

Has the bar been set so low on his expectations that that line score qualifies as a "great game?"

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »
Has the bar been set so low on his expectations that that line score qualifies as a "great game?"
Not a great game, but we did have our run with him in the game.  He gets better each time out.  A good backup is what he is now.  I like what I see in terms of his maturation.  He's becoming more assertive, trying to get to the hoop.  You can see him actively adjusting his game and figuring out what he can be.  Its actually interesting to watch.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »
20 minutes
0 for 2 from the field
2 for 4 from the line
zero assists
2 turnovers

Well. that's where many have set the bar for Otule
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
Well. that's where many have set the bar for Otule

Just think, Junior and Otule will probably be in MU's starting five next year. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
Just think, Junior and Otule will probably be in MU's starting five next year.  

Outle is now.

Vander and DJO will be the starting back court next year.

Crowder and TBD in the front court (Jamil Wilson?).

Dodds interviewed Benford on the other site and he says that Jamil Wilson can handle the ball so well that they can use him at PG in certain situations.

How about this for size 6' 7" PG!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:35:16 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »
Why did Buzz play Cadugan and Blue during crunch time when we need to score?  Buzz lost this game for the team.  Why would he play two players who cannot score????  It seems like Buzz is single handedly throwing the games this year.  Don't get it.  It doesn't make sense why he isn't playing his best offensive and defensive players.  Why sit DJO so long?  Why sit Buycks so long?  Why sit Crower?  Why not play Otule and Gardner more?  They can score and defend the other team's "bigs."  Buzz is losing the games big time!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
Outle is now.

Vander and DJO will be the starting back court next year.

Crowder and TBD in the front court (Jamil Wilson?).

I said probably.  I would love to see Vander as the starting point guard, but we'll see what Buzz thinks.  Wilson will take Butler's spot.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
Otule's performance has been nothing to write home about either lately. How a 6'11" 260 lber. could grab a rebound only once every 8.3 minutes and shoot just 7 of 23 from the field in BE play is beyond me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:33:48 AM by Boone »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »
Why did Buzz play Cadugan and Blue during crunch time when we need to score?  Buzz lost this game for the team.  Why would he play two players who cannot score????  It seems like Buzz is single handedly throwing the games this year.  Don't get it.  It doesn't make sense why he isn't playing his best offensive and defensive players.  Why sit DJO so long?  Why sit Buycks so long?  Why sit Crower?  Why not play Otule and Gardner more?  They can score and defend the other team's "bigs."  Buzz is losing the games big time!

Pretty easy on Cadougan. he is the best passer we have. If we need to score, he will get it to the open man

I agree that Otule and Gardner should split the time at Post. That is not Crowder or Fulce's position.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »
Otule's performance has been nothing to write home about either lately. How a 6'11" 260 lber. could grab a rebound only once every 8.3 minutes and shoot just 7 of 23 from the field in BE play is beyond me.

That was my point.  Their box scores are very poor and will probably be in next year's starting lineup. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
Why did Buzz play Cadugan and Blue during crunch time when we need to score? 

Second half
Junior subs in for DJO at 14:26 down 48-44
Junior subs out at 7:33 UP 60-55

(Blue was on the floor this entire time.)

So let's review....with Junior and Vander on the floor at the same time, MU went on a 16-7 run over an almost seven minute time frame.  After Junior subed out (for DB), we gave up five straight and the game quickly ended after that.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »
We stunk when we played Blue and Cadugan together.  We should play our best players when it comes to crunch time.  We lost our momentum.  Blue and Cadugan can not score.  Not really sure what they can do right now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »
We stunk when we played Blue and Cadugan together.  We should play our best players when it comes to crunch time.  We lost our momentum.  Blue and Cadugan can not score.  Not really sure what they can do right now.

Did you read one post above?  Those facts make your statements wrong.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
our best lineups last night always had junior on the floor.  If you watched the game, I'm not sure how you could dispute that.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:17 AM »
I dont' care about JC's stats. I was at the game. He played a great game. He was one of the few players who wasn't out of control on breaks. I like him at the point.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
I dont' care about JC's stats. I was at the game. He played a great game. He was one of the few players who wasn't out of control on breaks. I like him at the point.
A point guard who has no assists and 2 points (from free throws) in 20 minutes did not play a great game. He may have played with energy, enthusiasm, and hustle, but it is not a great performance.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:17:52 AM by Norm »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »
he's Canadian, we should be happy he knows what basketball is eh

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
He's another guard, along with Blue, who can't shoot to save their asses yet play significant minutes. Couple that with two complete stiffs in the posts and the talent level isn't good enough to compete with the upper half of the BE. Wouldn't matter if Phil Jackson were the coach.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »
Cadougan played a good game last night.  He played his ass off, although what he did didn't show in teh box scores.  He and Blue were awesome on defense.  Anyone realize that when DJO came in to sub Blue with 7 minutes left, he lost his man on baseline screens almost on 3 straight UCONN posessions?  I love DJO, but I don't think he adjusted as well as Blue did to the constant screens.

But in our society we reward results, not effort.  The team, coaches included, lost the game last night for multiple reasons.  But to single out Junior and Blue is just plain stupid.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
I am a ‘buffoon?’ Junior Cadougan played ‘great’ against UConn?
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 12:03:36 PM »
You're a buffoon. Junior had a great game last night.

PuertoRicanNightmare, good to see you presenting smart, well-reasoned, logical replies here that do not include personal attacks.

You say I am a buffoon?

I am? Why?

You insist that “Junior had a great game” against Connecticut?

A great game? How so?

Always good to include name-calling in your hyperbolic replies, PuertoRicanNightmare. It brings great credibility.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
He's another guard, along with Blue, who can't shoot to save their asses yet play significant minutes. Couple that with two complete stiffs in the posts and the talent level isn't good enough to compete with the upper half of the BE. Wouldn't matter if Phil Jackson were the coach.

So your complaint is MU needs a better offense.  I thought we ranked among the best in the country.  I thought the problem was defense.

Tough to keep up

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »
Second half
Junior subs in for DJO at 14:26 down 48-44
Junior subs out at 7:33 UP 60-55

(Blue was on the floor this entire time.)

So let's review....with Junior and Vander on the floor at the same time, MU went on a 16-7 run over an almost seven minute time frame.  After Junior subed out (for DB), we gave up five straight and the game quickly ended after that.

I'm glad you got the details.

Last night I was shocked when Junior was subbed out after the under-8 media timeout. Thought he was doing well getting into the lane. He's better at dropping off passes there than anyone else on the team. And, generally, he seems to be the only one with awareness on the court (maybe not much considering the team this year).

feedback