[Today at 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[Today at 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TCU to the Big East  (Read 14615 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: TCU to the Big East
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
I don't understand the need for divisions in an 18 team conference.  12 teams in two six-team divisions, sure, that makes sense.  But 18 teams?

--You can't schedule your division twice and the other once--that would be 16 + 9 or 25 total conference games.
--You could play your division twice and two or three select games from the other division--but nobody liked that when we were in CUSA and missed out on playing Memphis.
--You could simply play a 18 game schedule with every team once and one rival twice--but that kind of defeats the purpose of divisions.
--Regardless of divisions, the league will probably seed 1 through 18 for the conference tournament -- unless they're willing to set up a structure where a weaker division could send a team to the conference championship game.
--Regardless of divisions, the RPI is going to rank teams 1 through 18 for you.  As will Pomeroy, Sagarin, etc.

If you have 18 teams, it seems to make sense to have everyone play each other once and let the standings reflect a straight 1st through 18th place.  We're going to get that at the end of the season anyway for tournament seeding, RPI and NCAA bids, so why play games with divisions ahead of time.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
I don't understand the need for divisions in an 18 team conference.  12 teams in two six-team divisions, sure, that makes sense.  But 18 teams?

--You can't schedule your division twice and the other once--that would be 16 + 9 or 25 total conference games.
--You could play your division twice and two or three select games from the other division--but nobody liked that when we were in CUSA and missed out on playing Memphis.
--You could simply play a 18 game schedule with every team once and one rival twice--but that kind of defeats the purpose of divisions.
--Regardless of divisions, the league will probably seed 1 through 18 for the conference tournament -- unless they're willing to set up a structure where a weaker division could send a team to the conference championship game.
--Regardless of divisions, the RPI is going to rank teams 1 through 18 for you.  As will Pomeroy, Sagarin, etc.

If you have 18 teams, it seems to make sense to have everyone play each other once and let the standings reflect a straight 1st through 18th place.  We're going to get that at the end of the season anyway for tournament seeding, RPI and NCAA bids, so why play games with divisions ahead of time.

Id agree with that. But I was also wondering if they go to more than 10 teams, as in if they want to go to 12 like very other conference (UCF, Temple, Nova or Memphis). At 20 teams, would divisions make sense then? I think it would be interesting to have 4 divisions of 5 teams, but thats just me (emphasis on interesting, not saying it would work perfectly).

In an ideal world, Id love to grab two bball-only schools along with the two football schools added to even everything thing out, but I think the basketball-only schools have lost their negotiating leverage for that.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
I cannot see how this will help Marquette.  At this point I think our departure from the BE is now inevitable. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
TCU is actually West of the Mississippi River.

All BE schools are now located east of the West Fork of the Trinity River   ;D

This deal is made for TV and football.  Gives a new currency lever with perhaps reopening a BE media deal by adding households in Dallas as noted in the article? What other football school to be added? Has to be another football school with this make-up. The BE already has the central Florida DMA.  As the BTN showed us, set tops are key.  U of Houston?  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:23:58 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
I cannot see how this will help Marquette.  At this point I think our departure from the BE is now inevitable. 

I agree, but I think the Bball-only schools will maintain the name Big East, as the football-only schools will most likely not be able to kick us out (not sure how voting changes with the imbalance though), and instead will just leave.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
Like Xavier?

I like that suggestion, 4 sure

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »

Possibly, but we may have just been granted a lengthy stay.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »
Labwarrior. I guess I understand your hatred for college football on one level, but I am hard pressed to remember a better weekend of college football than this past one.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
Let the countdown begin on Marquette's departure..........
I wonder about this myself. The BEast is becoming way too big, and a real mish mash with some schools in for BBall and at least one with a FBall team that is not in for that.

It seems to me that sooner or later, the geography, varied interests and football greed will cause a major upheaval of this cobference.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
Perhaps.  I am quite content with our role in the BE and I would hate to see that end

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
Mainly I dislike the fact that every college football team is essentially a  Calipari team, corrupt to the core. Plus the rules makes no sense (PI a 15 yard foul? why is this sacrifice not a DB strategy?) And come on, recruit some soccer players that can hit a 30 yard field goal; kicking is pitiful.

Combine that with the fact that I have no allegiance to a team and the fact that college bball (a sport I love far more than I hate college football) is the victim as football schools scramble to make an offering to the BCS altar, and that's why I can't stand it.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
I wonder about this myself. The BEast is becoming way too big, and a real mish mash with some schools in for BBall and at least one with a FBall team that is not in for that.

It seems to me that sooner or later, the geography, varied interests and football greed will cause a major upheaval of this cobference.

True, but those same factors might drive other leagues to disintegrate first.   As an example, how long can the Bevo10 last now that Nebraska and Colorado are out?  Texas will get its own network soon, the league will lose the conference title game revenue across the league, and the league's media footprint is comparatively smaller.  The SEC wanted A&M (and Oklahoma) before, so why not now?

There could be plenty of refugee institutions out there soon, independent of the Big East's efforts.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:36:40 PM by NYWarrior »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
True, but those same factors might drive other leagues to disintegrate first.   As an example, how long can the Bevo10 now that Nebraska and Colorado are out?  Texas will get its own network soon, the league will lose the conference title game revenue across the league, and the league's media footprint is comparatively smaller.  The SEC wanted A&M (and Oklahoma) before, so why not now?

There could be plenty of refugee institutions out there soon, independent of the Big East's efforts.

When this scenario was playing out this summer, it looked like Kansas was without a home.

I'd welcome them to the BE with open arms. Another football school, and another basketball power.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
Conference realignment/poaching is likely far from over. My guess is that the Big East wanted to snag TCU before the Big 12 did. It also opens a door into Texas/great plains for the BE if the Big 12 collapses.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
Perhaps.  I am quite content with our role in the BE and I would hate to see that end

Relax, we can always join the Big Ten.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »
You watch. Within three years the BE will pay the basketball-only schools to take a hike. When I worked at the New York Post Lenny Robbins told me that Marquette wouldn't last 10 years in the conference because of the football angle. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »
I'll take that bet.

john_cocktoasten

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 01:32:25 PM »
Know all they need ND to join as a football school but I guess that's like waiting for Texas to leave the Big 12 for the Big East

chren21

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »
I'll take that bet.

Im in on that bet too..

chren21

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »
Van Pelt is absolutely killing this decision by the Big East right now.  He thinks it is a total rush to judgement move.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2010, 01:44:22 PM »
Van Pelt is absolutely killing this decision by the Big East right now.  He thinks it is a total rush to judgement move.

I wonder if he said the same thing when the Big East invited Miami a decade and a half ago.  here's another take,

http://deadspin.com/5701222/weekend-winner-the-big-east-college-sports-honest-harlot

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »
I don't think this is so bad.  If the Big East didn't move to bring in another FB school they were always in danger of getting one of their schools poached and then having the conference disband.  Now that they strengthened their FB position I think that it helps ensure the existence of the conference and as long as the conference exists and we finish in the top half for basketball then I think we'll have a home. 

If I were Seton Hall or DePaul I would be more worried.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 02:35:23 PM »
I don't think this is so bad.  If the Big East didn't move to bring in another FB school they were always in danger of getting one of their schools poached and then having the conference disband.  Now that they strengthened their FB position I think that it helps ensure the existence of the conference and as long as the conference exists and we finish in the top half for basketball then I think we'll have a home. 

If I were Seton Hall or DePaul I would be more worried.

I agree.  Hasn't the thought always been that the Big East needed to add a football power in order to ensure the long-term viability of the conference?  So now that the BE has the best non-AQ team in the country and exposure to a new market, why is this a bad thing for Marquette?  There may always be some paranoia there since we do not have a football program but I don't think this particular move spells doom for MU.

So now I guess we need to root for our conference and pull for TCU against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
Villanova has to make their decision soon.

In discussions I had today with one of the girls that could be invited to the Big East dance, the Villanova decision is likely the next domino to fall, but there is also a few potential other possibilities.

If Nova decides to play football in the Big East, the conference may stop there.  If Nova decides not to step up, then Big East adds one other school from a list of three.   The other option is to add three more schools if Nova says no (or two more if Nova says yes).  Interesting times.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
most top football schools are terrible at basketball outside of the Big 10
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
I like it.  Who cares if TCU isn’t good at basketball – they are better than DePaul and you aren’t going to get a football team you need for BCS purposes that is also good at basketball.  Outside of the Big 10, the rest of the current BCS Top 10 averages being ranked 113th in basketball (at www.kenpom.com).  
1.   Auburn #182
2.   Oregon #118
3.   TCU #138
4.   Stanford #75
5.   Wisconsin #17
6.   Ohio State #3
7.   Arkansas #87
8.   Michigan State #8
9.   Oklahoma #114
10.   LSU #78

We need; 1) the Big East to keep BCS status, and 2) Marquette to stay in the Big East.  Clearly this is a tremendous boost to #1, and I don’t see why it makes it any more likely that MU would be dumped than it was before the move.  Still shaky perhaps, but in much better shape than before this move and the Big 10 grabbing Nebraska instead of Rutgers and other BE schools.

As a season ticket holder for Auburn football I simply root for the Big East to win enough in football to stay in teh BCS, but I'm glad MU is a basketball-only school where recruits know they can be the stars on campus in an NBA city with a great coach.  I believe MU's hand is stronger than many think to stay in the BE long-term.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

feedback