[June 26, 2024, 11:53:12 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by MU Fan in Connecticut
[June 26, 2024, 04:41:17 PM]

2024-25 Roster by DFW HOYA
[June 26, 2024, 03:15:39 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[June 26, 2024, 02:56:18 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Could The State U. Lose Recruits To Lowly X?  (Read 12989 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
How Could The State U. Lose Recruits To Lowly X?
« on: October 24, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
Tough weekend for Tommy Boy when he loses Chandler and Smith-Rivera to Xavier. While his address may be different, some things never change.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
Re: How Could The State U. Lose Recruits To Lowly X?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
yeah, crean is a gem---but we need to be worrying about what recruits we can pull in. We need to land more quality players.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »
IU scout board says that they were no big loss, IU is already stocked at those positions.    In another thread, one of the posters ranks MU fans among the most obnoxious.   So we have that going for us. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »
I'm real proud of that distinction :-[

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
IU scout board says that they were no big loss, IU is already stocked at those positions.    In another thread, one of the posters ranks MU fans among the most obnoxious.   So we have that going for us. 

Well, since Crean is the only common thing between IU and MU in the last few years, the MU comments are going to be universally negative so we would come off as obnoxious.

It has to be telling for them though and they might need to face reality.  Not a single MU fan would chose to have Crean back, IU is horrible, and they cannot land their instate recruits.  I don't care how low the bar should be set.  Crean has been nothing but awful down there. 

IU is stacked at center so they do not need Chandler?  Ok... 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 04:41:26 PM »

They're full of hot air. Both are instate kids. Chandler is 6'10" and rated the #4 center. The other dude is a junior and rated #3 shooting guard in the class. Each bent over and blew T-Cubed a kiss.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »
IU scout board says that they were no big loss

Can't believe no one has responded to this yet: Crean cooled on him.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:40:29 PM »
BTW, by the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about UW and Xavier. I guess my pathological default for "State U" is Bucky.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »
Crean missed on Teague, Dawson, and Chandler.  He still has a chance at Zeller.  Even if he does get Zeller, the recruiting is still disappointing with all the PT available.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
Tough weekend for Tommy Boy when he loses Chandler and Smith-Rivera to Xavier. While his address may be different, some things never change.

Seems stupid to make fun of others' recruiting considering the summer Marquette had.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 07:15:33 PM »
Seems stupid to make fun of others' recruiting considering the summer Marquette had.

You are mad that Buzz landed a 4-star top 100 recruit and is likely a finalist for Hood and Shaw still?  That is a bad summer?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:58:15 PM »
Well, since Crean is the only common thing between IU and MU in the last few years, the MU comments are going to be universally negative so we would come off as obnoxious.

It has to be telling for them though and they might need to face reality.  Not a single MU fan would chose to have Crean back, IU is horrible, and they cannot land their instate recruits.  I don't care how low the bar should be set.  Crean has been nothing but awful down there. 

IU is stacked at center so they do not need Chandler?  Ok... 

You'll certainly get no argument from this MU fan about choosing to have TC back, but several unabashed Crean fans on this board are not yet sold on Buzz.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »

I understand the point of the title is to take a shot at Crean, but "Lowly X"??? All Xavier has done the last several years in the NCAA tourney is:
2002 Second Round
2003 Second Round
2004 Elite Eight
2006 First Round
2007 Second Round
2008 Elite Eight
2009 Sweet Sixteen
2010 Sweet Sixteen

We, and most schools, would love to have a track record like that. Far from "Lowly".

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
What are you talking about?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
I understand the point of the title is to take a shot at Crean, but "Lowly X"??? All Xavier has done the last several years in the NCAA tourney is:
2002 Second Round
2003 Second Round
2004 Elite Eight
2006 First Round
2007 Second Round
2008 Elite Eight
2009 Sweet Sixteen
2010 Sweet Sixteen

We, and most schools, would love to have a track record like that. Far from "Lowly".

But, Xavier, of the A-10, is not one of the top 5 programs of all time. "Its Indiana, its Indiana." The departed is finding it a little more difficult to recruit at than he anticipated. Maybe its not the place, but the person?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »
I like to read their board and see if they have the same complaints about Crean as we did and frankly I hope to see Crean not do well and regret leaving MU. Petty? Yes, but I don't really care. They seemed very high on Smith-Rivera. They are in on some good prospects, but they seemed pretty high on him and thought he was theirs. I don't remember reading a ton on Chandler so can't comment on that.

Also, you can't really compare the situations this summer for MU and IU. They have more playing time and in-state talent that are brought up to believe that IU is the only place to play basketball. It is like UW x10 from the sounds of it. They kept pointing out the home-grown kids in future classes as the area where they will make their comeback. So it is somewhat a big deal that they didn't get Smith-Rivera, I didn't read a ton on Chandler but the above poster said he was a pretty good looking center prospect, so I imagine it is a bigger deal than they are letting on. Zeller is the one they are keying on though. If he doesn't get Zeller (and everything sounds like Zeller to IU on their board), then things could get real interesting.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
Are you serious?  Wow...just wow. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 11:31:05 PM »
You'll certainly get no argument from this MU fan about choosing to have TC back, but several unabashed Crean fans on this board are not yet sold on Buzz.

Fair point, but even if you are not completely sold on Buzz, I doubt you would want Crean back.  When Buzz leaves, we can do better.  Crean already talked the administration into improving our facilities and spend money on the program.  He already did what he is good at at MU, and I don't think we need someone to put in the 3 guard, hand it off for 25 seconds at the top of the key, and chuck the ball up offense. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »
One practical victory for MU is Chandler stayed out of the Big East.  I think he was looking hard at Louisville for a while. 

I like to root for the fellow Jesuits schools, so I am happy X got some good talent.  Marquette, Xavier, and Gonzaga are all bball only Jesuit schools with great teams who rarely compete with each other.  Its great to see schools like us do well.  It was fun to play X last Thanksgiving and it might be fun to play the Zags in KC this year. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »
Lowly X?   4ever...you been inhaling the laughing gas again at the Dental school?   ;)

Chandler is no big deal, if he's academically eligible next year it would surprise most people in the state of Indiana.  Don't get me wrong, nice player but some serious grade issues. DSR is a kid IU would have liked to get but it all comes down to who you get instead.  If IU ends up with Zeller and Ferrell, this will not even register.  If they don't get them, then it's something to talk about.

I notice Purdue didn't land them either...nor did Butler.  

I suspect Yogi will give a verbal fairly soon.  If IU doesn't land Yogi, that will sting them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »

Care to identify them?  I don't know of any "Crean fans", let alone "unabashed" but since you often imply that myself and others are in that category you might as well come out and say it. 

As for being sold on Buzz...every time I get really close he does something really stupid or behind the scenes embarrassing that makes me question his judgment.  Hopefully he can go 365 days this time around without doing that.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 12:13:43 AM »
Crean does have a decent 2012 class started with one in-state guard who looks good.  He also snagged some verbals from kids who are freshman in high school.

I think he is crazy to go after 2014 kids since offering a kid based on his body of work in junior high just means that kid hit puberty before his peers most likely.  It probably pleases the fanbase to see him get players with high rankings even if they have yet to play one second of even high school basketball. 

It's tough to really judge this though.  If you asked people in April 2007, a lot of IU people thought Crean would clean up the instate recruits by now.  Does that mean one per year?  All of them?  No one took a position so people can look at these recruits as a success or failure in hindsight rather easily. 

And if IU is such a great school to play at, wouldn't they eventually land 1 or 2 four star players regardless of who is coaching?  Or is the situation so bad at IU that no one would want to go there so it wouldn't matter who is doing the recruiting anyway?  It's really hard to judge Crean's job based on those two competing factors I think.

I think Crean in the Zellar situation might find out the same lesson that Bo/Buzz are about to find out next year with Tokoto.  Going to a local school is nice, but when you go to North Carolina who can be a bench player and still make the lottery so you might as well give yourself the best shot at a title. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 12:42:11 AM »
As for being sold on Buzz...every time I get really close he does something really stupid or behind the scenes embarrassing that makes me question his judgment.  Hopefully he can go 365 days this time around without doing that.

Agreed.  He has not been perfect.  I chalk all of his mistakes up to "this is the downside of hiring someone with no experience" rather than thinking Buzz has any permanent flaws.  I hope that all of these close games were enough of a crash course for him in the X's and O's department for his judgment.  I think we will start winning a lot more close games rather than half based on Buzz being better at X's and O's.  We talk about the better recruiting/more depth/more size relative to what we have had, but we also have a coach who is improving as well. 

Also, in his recruiting mistakes, I hope that he will do better now that he does not have to recruit massive classes.  Finding a seventh person to fill a Big East recruiting class would be tough for anyone.  That is where Buzz made his mistakes and he is very unlikely to be in that spot again.  If he is, then that means he put a lot of underclassmen into the NBA so that would be nice. 

I hope he proves me right and can fit your 365 day standard. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »
Care to identify them?  I don't know of any "Crean fans", let alone "unabashed" but since you often imply that myself and others are in that category you might as well come out and say it. 

Hoops said that no MU fan would trade Buzz for Crean. You are an MU fan. You were sold on Crean. You're not yet sold on Buzz. Until you and others who have expressed similar opinions state otherwise, it's simple logic to conclude you would prefer TC. I'm sure if the day comes when you prefer Buzz you'll let us know.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »

Hoops said that no MU fan would trade Buzz for Crean. You are an MU fan. You were sold on Crean. You're not yet sold on Buzz. Until you and others who have expressed similar opinions state otherwise, it's simple logic to conclude you would prefer TC. I'm sure if the day comes when you prefer Buzz you'll let us know.

I'll probably get roasted for this comment, but I'll say it.

I prefer the Final 4 and Dwyane Wade to anything Buzz has done (yet).

/ducks and prepares for the rage

feedback