[June 25, 2024, 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[June 25, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[June 25, 2024, 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[June 25, 2024, 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler: 1st Mid-Major Final In The Modern Era (1985). Does This Change Anything?  (Read 6964 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Butler was only the second mid-major to make the final four (George Mason in 2006) and the first to make the final game in the modern era (since the field went to 64 in 1985).

If they win on Monday, does this change anything?  

Does it accelerate the move to expand the tourney to 96?

If the BCS Football schools want to split with the NCAA does a possible Butler win "complicate" their efforts to start their own BCS basketball championship?

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
What a great story.....   I am so impressed by that team....  They out grinded one of the ultimate grind out teams.....   

Job well done Butler.....   :)
"I better walk before they make me run"

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
By the way...  Butler although a mid major school...  they have "NBA" type talent....   they are no joke...  and they will all be back next season.   :o

TJ

• All American
Butler was only the second mid-major to make the final four (George Mason in 2006) and the first to make the final game in the modern era (since the field went to 64 in 1985).

If they win on Monday, does this change anything?  

Does it accelerate the move to expand the tourney to 96?

If the BCS Football schools want to split with the NCAA does a possible Butler win "complicate" their efforts to start their own BCS basketball championship?
What's a mid-major?  Many would argue that Marquette went to the Final Four as a mid-major.  CUSA certainly wasn't one of the big 6 conferences.

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
What's a mid-major?  Many would argue that Marquette went to the Final Four as a mid-major.  CUSA certainly wasn't one of the big 6 conferences.

I think the whole mid major things keeps originating from the "Big conference schools"...  that simply do now want to allow smaller conferences and schools an even playing ground... 

But parity has set in....   and I like it....   :)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
I was rooting for Butler the whole way, but its tough because I whole heartedly think we would be them by a solid 10-15 with the way we match up.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American

The term did not exist in the 1970s.  It is a recent term to mean a school not in the BCS power six conferences (BE, BT, ACC, SEC, B12, P10)

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
I was rooting for Butler the whole way, but its tough because I whole heartedly think we would be them by a solid 10-15 with the way we match up.

?-(..  are you serious

DavantesInferno

• Scholarship Player
The term did not exist in the 1970s.  It is a recent term to mean a school not in the BCS power six conferences (BE, BT, ACC, SEC, B12, P10)

I think he was referring to the 2003 season.  We were still in the C-USA that year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Yeah Crimson I watched Butler all eyar they are my 3rd favorite team behind the gophers and MU obviously. I watched the gophers play them early on. MU would be a perfect match up because both teams are small teams but Jimmy would abuse Matt Howard with fouls and Hayward on Hayward would be great. Mack is great and would get his but DJO, Cubby and Acker would be too much from deep. Butler wins because other teams turn it over and shoot from 3 poor......thos are our strengths.

Norm

• All American
Wasn't UNLV from a mid-major conference when they dominated in the 80's and 90's under the Shark?

As others have mentioned, Butler has recruited very well and definitely has NBA type talent. Just compare Marquette's roster this year versus Butler's.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I think he was referring to the 2003 season.  We were still in the C-USA that year.

Good point, then we would have to include Cincy and Memphis in the list of mid-majors and Butler is the second mid-major to make the final behind Memphis two years ago.

Is C-USA a mid-major? (Their is no accepted definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major )

GGGG

• All American
Yeah Crimson I watched Butler all eyar they are my 3rd favorite team behind the gophers and MU obviously. I watched the gophers play them early on. MU would be a perfect match up because both teams are small teams but Jimmy would abuse Matt Howard with fouls and Hayward on Hayward would be great. Mack is great and would get his but DJO, Cubby and Acker would be too much from deep. Butler wins because other teams turn it over and shoot from 3 poor......thos are our strengths.

Lazar wouldn't be able to guard Gordon Hayward...too slow.  You would have to put Jimmy on Gordon Hayward.

buckchuckler

• All American

Cmon, its not a problem to love your team, but this seems a little silly.  They are in the Championship game for a reason.  They just beat Cuse, and K-State, and are playing really good ball right now.

buckchuckler

• All American
and we only beat what, one team by more than 10 (not counting cupcakes...)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
It is pretty cool that a team like butler got into the national championship.
Unfortunately it pretty much caps off a year in which there was unprecedented mediocrity in NCAAB. The fact that Mich St. was even in the final four is still puzzling to me. As exciting as it is, I feel as if whoever wins the duke wv game will crap on butler. Just my opinion.

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter

Do you know how silly that statement reads?  Maybe there is a "reason" Butler's opponents have shot and handled the ball poorly.  Perhaps.....   maybe DEFENSE......    they have not allowed an opponent to score over 60 all tourney...   guess it is a fluke... :o

Butler plays championship caliber D....Just ask..  UTEP, Murray St, Syracuse, Kansas St, and Michigan St....   :)

nyg

• All American
It is pretty cool that a team like butler got into the national championship.
Unfortunately it pretty much caps off a year in which there was unprecedented mediocrity in NCAAB. The fact that Mich St. was even in the final four is still puzzling to me. As exciting as it is, I feel as if whoever wins the duke wv game will crap on butler. Just my opinion.

I tend to agree at this point, but Butler can play defense.  I hope Butler didn't just blow their load on this game.  If they don't have Mack for the game and shoot even close to what they did tonight (31%), either Duke or WVA will really beat up on them.  I hope not, it would be quite a story if they could pull this thing off.  

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Good call Crimson except for the fact that we simply didnt turn it over against any type of d. I watch every single game Butler has played this year with the exception of a couple Horizon games in the regular season because they clearly over matched everyone. I do agree that Butler would have to guard Gordon though. Nored strives off locking down on that big forward/wing play and frusterating him. We dont have the kind of player for him to be after. We will never know but i am very confident we would have beat them.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
I tend to agree at this point, but Butler can play defense.  I hope Butler didn't just blow their load on this game.  If they don't have Mack for the game and shoot even close to what they did tonight (31%), either Duke or WVA will really beat up on them.  I hope not, it would be quite a story if they could pull this thing off.  

I mean, there is really not much certainty in college basketball, that is for sure. We must keep in mind as welll that this is essentially a home court advantage for butler, as far as hometown crowds are concerned. Im not saying butler will for sure lose, but when it comes down to it, two legitimate top 5 teams are contending for a spot to play them, and you can sure as hell bet they aren't warm to the idea of losing to a team from the horizon league.

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
I do know one thing....   both MU and BU would both ...  ROCK IU's azz into next year....   :(

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
I mean, there is really not much certainty in college basketball, that is for sure. We must keep in mind as welll that this is essentially a home court advantage for butler, as far as hometown crowds are concerned. Im not saying butler will for sure lose, but when it comes down to it, two legitimate top 5 teams are contending for a spot to play them, and you can sure as hell bet they aren't warm to the idea of losing to a team from the horizon league.

ESPN pre season rankings....  WV 8, Duke 9, and Butler 11...   This run is not unexpected by people who "know" BB.... 

Hayward and Mack both played on the 19 and under world championship team this last summer in New Zealand.

they are solid and I like wathing them at this point much more than the TO machine IU currently is... ;)

NersEllenson

• All American
I do know one thing....   both MU and BU would both ...  ROCK IU's azz into next year....   :(

Amen to this.  I think Haywards Heros makes a decent point that MU would have matched up well with Butler.  Very true statement, though I do not see MU beating Butler by 10-15 - but could see it having been a very closely contested basketball game - with the edge going to Butler slightly, due to them being a better defensive team.  They play great team D, and that would be the decisive factor in their favor.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
ESPN pre season rankings....  WV 8, Duke 9, and Butler 11...   This run is not unexpected by people who "know" BB.... 

Hayward and Mack both played on the 19 and under world championship team this last summer in New Zealand.

they are solid and I like wathing them at this point much more than the TO machine IU currently is... ;)

I'm basing it on end of season seeding, which butler got screwed on, I will admit.

Preseason means jack. COUGH COUGH texas COUGH

buckchuckler

• All American
cough cough, Carolina, cough

feedback