[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Isiah Thomas interested in the DePaul job  (Read 2516 times)

Norm

• All American
Isiah Thomas interested in the DePaul job
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
From the Chicago Tribune:

By Fred Mitchell

Isiah Thomas is interested in the vacant DePaul coaching position, a source close to the Hall of Fame guard told the Tribune on Thursday.

Thomas is the head coach at Florida International University and has a recruiting class that has been rated as high as 17th nationally. The source insists Thomas would be able to steer those recruits to DePaul if he were offered the job.

"Isiah also could recruit the Chicago kids. It has always been a fertile area," said the source.

Thomas grew up on the West Side and nearly went to DePaul after starring at St. Joseph. Instead of joining close friend Mark Aguirre at DePaul, Thomas chose Indiana, where he led Bobby Knight's Hoosiers to the 1981 NCAA title.

Named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history, Thomas has been a head coach of the Indiana Pacers and New York Knicks, before joining the college ranks at FIU.

DePaul was scheduled to interview Reggie Theus for its vacant post on Thursday.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: Isiah Thomas interested in the DePaul job
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0402-haugh-depaul-coach--20100401,0,7603236.column

Above is a story by David Haugh, a good Chicago sportswriter in my eyes. Explaining DePaul situation for what it is.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0402-haugh-depaul-coach--20100401,0,7603236.column

Above is a story by David Haugh, a good Chicago sportswriter in my eyes. Explaining DePaul situation for what it is.

One error...he referred to Brian Gregory as a "program builder."  Gregory didn't built the Dayton program...Oliver Purnell did.  When Purnell took over, they went 7-20 (0-12) in his first year, and 24-6 (14-2) in his last.  Don't get me wrong, I think Gregory is a good coach, but he stepped into a good situation and has kept it where it was.

Oh and Isiah would be a disaster.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »
CBA
New York Knicks

DePaul

Yeah, this can't possibly fail.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »
He has failed everywhere else so I'm rooting for him to get the job at Depaul!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
CBA
Indiana Pacers
New York Knicks
Sleep medication

DePaul

Yeah, this can't possibly fail.

Fixed

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:59:04 PM »
I may be the only one to think this, but I believe Zeke would be a great signing for DePaul

I think he is due for success and needs to rebuild his image. I think he would be able to recruit the heck out of Chicago and the midwest in general. I think he would bring DePaul some notoriety for the fanbase and for their image in the city and in college ball (for good or bad)

I think he would both put DePaul back on the map, and turn DePaul back into a winner. After all, he cant make it any worse than it is so why not take the risk?

PS: I wouldn't like it from MU's perspective because Thomas would be another tough recruiter in the area

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »
I have to agree with mudimitri.  Even if the guy can't coach he was able to bring some top talent this coming year to a small school in Florida overshadowed by plenty of others.  I have to imagine he could bring some top talent to depaul.  Even if he can't get them to do anything it creates a much bigger problem for recruiting especially in the Chicago area for MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
I may be the only one to think this, but I believe Zeke would be a great signing for DePaul

I think he is due for success and needs to rebuild his image. I think he would be able to recruit the heck out of Chicago and the midwest in general. I think he would bring DePaul some notoriety for the fanbase and for their image in the city and in college ball (for good or bad)

"Due for success?"  I didn't realize it was like flipping a coin. 

People who are bad at coaching generally do not get better when they move on to worse programs.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »

"Due for success?"  I didn't realize it was like flipping a coin. 

People who are bad at coaching generally do not get better when they move on to worse programs.

Just saying the guy has had a rough little streak, and maybe he can turn it around a bit. You are correct, he may be a poor coach. However, recruiting is usually more than half the battle in college, and if he brings in good classes DePaul will be much better off than they are now, even if he is a worse in game coach than Tom Crean  :o.....I had to, he hadnt surfaced yet (Im only half serious by the way)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
I like to see Isiah hired and see him bring his FIU recruits to DePaul, so FIU can realize just how foolish they were to hire him let him use them.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

DePaul was scheduled to interview Reggie Theus for its vacant post on Thursday.
Based on Reggie Theus's ability to take a small Indiana HS Boys team led by a girl to a championship, we can probably expect great things...which means Depaul will screw it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_Time_%28TV_series%29
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
Wasn't the girl actually Reggie in a wig?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.