[September 27, 2024, 09:25:40 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Dayton Preview by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 04:52:28 PM]

Starting line ups/rotations 24-25 by tower912
[September 27, 2024, 03:11:39 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Billy Hoyle
[September 27, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on Homer's Show  (Read 5410 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Buzz on Homer's Show
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
I heard Buzz on Homer's show last night.  Not a lot to report.  Broke down the Washington loss a little more.  "They had 38 possessions in the first half which is too many.  "Washington doesn't really run a set fast break, they like to advance on the ball side to whoever is there which allows them to get it up so quick."  Buzz acknowledged that watching Wash beat New Mexico made it even harder because had MU pulled it out they could have been in the sweet 16.
One thing that Buzz does that I find kind of strange is that he calls opposing players by their number.  "Number 3 is a really quick player, we couldn't stop number 5" etc.  I'm not sure if this is Buzz's Rainman like behavior coming through?  Other coaches call opposing players by their names.  Is this an MU technique to make sure the MU players really focus on the scouting report?  Not sure but you don't hear others do it.
Buzz made a funny comment about our lack of depth.  He said that it was a "great story playing with 6.5 guys and all the guys playing so hard BUT he'd like have a different great story next year where 9.5 guys play but all play really hard".  This tends to confirm that Buzz would use a longer bench if he could trust it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Buzz on Homer's Show
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
Calling opposing players by their numbers comes from watching film. They just refer to players by uni number because that's a lot easier than remembering all the names.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
The other thing I took away from yestardays interview although nothing directly was said, is that Buzz is really working to create relationships in this state.  No matter who it is, if its the play by play guy, the intern that works on the staff at the radio station or a H.S. Coach.  Buzz is definately going the extra mile to build up any relationship possible.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
It makes sense to call a player by their number.  Most coaches speak more generally about the other team or know a couple of the bigger players names.  The last thing that Buzz, staff and players need to do is learn to associate a name with a number.  A lot easier to just focus on the number.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
The other thing I took away from yestardays interview although nothing directly was said, is that Buzz is really working to create relationships in this state.  No matter who it is, if its the play by play guy, the intern that works on the staff at the radio station or a H.S. Coach.  Buzz is definately going the extra mile to build up any relationship possible.

That's basically how Buzz got himself a coaching position in the first place. Good to see he hasn't forgotten his roots!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Did he mention the Spanish O'Donnell's?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »
Calling opposing players by their numbers comes from watching film. They just refer to players by uni number because that's a lot easier than remembering all the names.

If so, how hard is it for a team to switch numbers to mess them up?  Something subtle, say Lazar and Butler switch, or Acker and Cubes switch?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
If so, how hard is it for a team to switch numbers to mess them up?  Something subtle, say Lazar and Butler switch, or Acker and Cubes switch?

It's a technical foul if a player enters the game wearing a different number than the one in the scorebook*. Under your (hopefully tongue-in-cheek) scenario, Marquette's opponent would start the game by shooting 8 consecutive FTs.

*- the obvious exception being if a player needs to use the designated "blood jersey"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »
It's a technical foul if a player enters the game wearing a different number than the one in the scorebook*. Under your (hopefully tongue-in-cheek) scenario, Marquette's opponent would start the game by shooting 8 consecutive FTs.

*- the obvious exception being if a player needs to use the designated "blood jersey"

How hard is it to change the scorebook before tipoff?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
agreed with others...especially at lower levels of coaching.  HS and lower no names on the jerseys.  Many Jucos and lower D2,D3, naia etc. rarely have names on the backs.

smae for players ...when you check in they dont say i have Pondexter or whomever, they say i have 5, 2, etc. 

Coaches and players refer to numbers, fans refer to names becuase announcers do. 

also rarely except at the D1 level do they even have programs or ways espcially unless you have a program of knowing a kids name.  i would go scout and say they run this they run that, watch 3 on this, watch 4 on that.  5 can really shoot it. etc. 

Go scout an AAU event  you see a kid what team what number.. then try to find his name.

product of the system

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »

I don't know the exact rules, but I do know that a player cannot change uniform numbers during the course of the season except for extenuating circumstances (I can't think of any, but I'm sure there have been cases).

I cannot believe I'm actually having this debate with someone! ::)

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
We would need to call everyone on Mike Davis' team UAB if we used their names instead of numbers.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

LON

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »
I don't know the exact rules, but I do know that a player cannot change uniform numbers during the course of the season except for extenuating circumstances (I can't think of any, but I'm sure there have been cases).

I think you are the only one that thought it was a serious question...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »

I was just asking as the flow of the conversation begged the question.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 02:07:57 PM »
I think you are the only one that thought it was a serious question...

Ha! I think you're right. It's been a long day!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »
Actually, I think it was a fine question.  Certainly not an attempt to debate.  Why not try to throw the other team off, if you could.  It's not surprising that the NCAA has this covered though, but if the question hadn't been asked, MerritsMustache wouldn't have clued me (us) in.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »

have I4 give George Thompson's number out to a freshman.  that'll get the # changed.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:27:21 PM »
have I4 give George Thompson's number out to a freshman.  that'll get the # changed.

I was just thinking about that on Senior Day.  How prophetic (or ironic, if you believe he didn't know 24 was GT's number) of TC to give George Thompson's #24 to Lazar, a player who would go on to surpass GT's scoring mark.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »

Weren't there some twins in the 70s accused of swithing numbers at the half because the hot one was in foul trouble?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »

Lazar switched his number from #24 to #32... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/29207369.html
I believe Lazar's first team promo poster and maybe? the 2006 team book has him listed as 24

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »

I was the basketball manager in high school and for road games kept the team score book.  The coach would write in the names and numbers before hand departing from school and since I was sitting next to the official scorer I was my job to share the book so he could write in those names and numbers.

At the time in MN high schools, players had an odd and an even number with one on the road whites and the other on the home colors.  example:  a player had both 10 and 11 as a number with one worn on the road and the other worn at home.  It went 12/13, 14/15, 20/21 and so on.

Anyway, the coach had written in the home numbers for the away game.  I caught the mistake when I saw our players lining up for the tip (first time they had their warmups off to expose the numbers) and told the coach and the scorer.  The team was T-ed up for providing the wrong numbers to the official scorekeeper and they got 1 FT for every guy on the floor.  If it would have been caught after the tip, then it would have been 1 FT for every player on the team.

After that, the coach filled in numbers while the team was warming up and brought a player over to verify which set to enter.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:52:06 PM by Badgerhater »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »

Yes I was right

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
I meant to post this earlier, at the end of the segment Buzz gave Homer a gift certificate to a fancy golf course in Wisconsin ( he couldn't remember the name) and a $200 gift certificate to the producer to take his new bride out for a nice dinner. I thought it was a nice gesture and the funny part was how Buzz was riding the producer how he probably never had taken his new bride to a restaurant where it was over $25 per person nor could he remember the name of the fancy golf course.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »
That is nothing!!  Tom Crean donated $100,000.00 to the Mu soccer program!

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:11 AM »
deleted