[June 25, 2024, 08:39:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by MuMark
[June 25, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

High school kids by MUbiz
[June 25, 2024, 04:25:04 PM]

my site phantom wallet login by rocky_warrior
[June 25, 2024, 03:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz comments on Cadougan  (Read 7013 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Buzz comments on Cadougan
« on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
Interesting exchange from the TV show this week, based on this I have to think we'll see him tomorrow night-

Dennis: Junior Cadougan; his progress, and is there a chance he'll play this season?

Buzz: His progress has been outstanding, Tood Smith and Ernest Eugene have done a phenomenal job with his commitment, but Junior has earned every bit of it. He's come back ahead of schedule from start to finish. He was released to start practicing this past week, did really well, he's continued to get better. He's been doing individual workouts every day, he's been lifting every day. Then he was able to add practice to that.

Now he's only able to practice a certain number of minutes, similar to what DJO did, when DJO was hurt. Honestly, I have to pray for peace on what's best for Junior and what's best for the future of our program. Never want to do anything to an individual that's not fair for him and his career, but the balance is what's best for his career and whats best for our players as it relates to our program.

You can flip it both ways. As of today, could he help us in January? Maybe a little bit. Would he be able to help us in February? I believe in my heart that he could. Could he be the difference in 1 or 2 wins? I would say probably so.

As this season goes on, we're playing 4 guards; Mo, Cubbie, DJO, and Buycks. And at times we're playing those 4 guards at 3 positions because Jimmy's having to play inside. If you're able to add another high-major player to the mix, does that help your team? Absolutely. Does that mean that it's the right time? I don't know that yet. It'll depend on how he does today in practice, how he does tomorrow. But whatever the decision is going to be, we need to make a decision sooner rather than later, because that's only fair to everybody involved.

Dennis: Who makes the final call, you or Junior?

Buzz: I would say Junior has the final call. I've talked to his mom several times, I've talked to his AAU coach, his HS coach, Tony Benford is in Canada today (Monday) to talk to his mom. We don't want to do anything that's not fair, as I said. And I think it's something you have to think about, pray about, before you make a final decision of that nature.

MUrugger

• Starter
Re: Buzz comments on Cadougan
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:40:15 PM »
Based on those comments, if not Wednesday then soon thereafter.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »
If I were to try to read between the lines, my feeling is that Buzz would prefer to redshirt him.  The easy thing to do is say, go ahead, play now.  We live in an instant gratification world, and we know that as 18 year old men - we all probably would choose to play, instead of to sit.  The fact that Buzz has talked with AAU coach, Mom, and Tony is in Canada - leads me to believe that Buzz is doing everything he can to ensure that if this decision is made to let Junior play, and something goes wrong..he and MU can be absolved of any negligence.  As he stated, ultimately the decision probably rests with Junior.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:55:09 PM »
I agree with MUFan12.  My sense is that Junior will be on the court very soon.  

He's been cleared medically, so that will not prevent this from happening.  Buzz stated he feels Junior would "absolutely" help.  And, ultimately the final decision is Junior's.  Do you really think Buzz would be discussing this had Junior ever said, "Hey coach, I'm coming along real well, but I don't want to push it.  Let's just take it slow and shoot for next season."?  Of course not.  This is going to happen.  So, we can stop anguishing over whether or not it's the right call and support Junior in HIS decision.

I think, through his hard work, Junior deserves the opportunity to compete with his teammates.  Secondly, the seniors on this team deserve the opportunity to end their time at MU with the best chance of winning.  Play to win in 2010 and worry about 2014 at a later date.        

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:05 AM »
Another important thing to remember, and I have no idea if this is playing into Junior's decision, is a lot of guys don't want to and/or plan on being in college for 5 years. Junior may think 4 years at Marquette max, so why not play if he's physically able to do so?

It's a tough call, obviously. He's not a senior, he's a true freshman who I'm sure needs a learning curve just like any other freshman. Then again, he's the definition of a true point guard, where MU has kind of had to band-aid the position this year. Of course, Acker and Cooby have worked their tails off, but neither is a true PG.

MU desperately needed size (of course) two years ago, and Mbakwe took off the redshirt in mid-February against Pitt. That unfortunately didn't really work out, and he had little impact.

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »
With Benford in Canada yesterday, this seems imminent.  DePaul might be the game to start with.  Wow - it's exciting and freightening at the same time - hope he is compeltely healed up.
Go Junior go!

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 01:01:02 AM »
With Benford in Canada yesterday, this seems imminent.  DePaul might be the game to start with.  Wow - it's exciting and freightening at the same time - hope he is compeltely healed up.
Go Junior go!

I hope he dropped by Mo Walker's house and said "hi" to his mom as well.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 07:17:48 AM »
If he does play, I hope he is not hesitant when he runs.  With that injury, it has to be in his mind that am I making the right decision, will it be OK when I cut, etc. 

It appears the staff has conducted their homework and the decision will be Junior's.  I say he plays, the kid has got to be biting at the bits to get in after sitting on the bench each game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:01:24 AM »
If I were to try to read between the lines, my feeling is that Buzz would prefer to redshirt him.  The easy thing to do is say, go ahead, play now.  We live in an instant gratification world, and we know that as 18 year old men - we all probably would choose to play, instead of to sit.  The fact that Buzz has talked with AAU coach, Mom, and Tony is in Canada - leads me to believe that Buzz is doing everything he can to ensure that if this decision is made to let Junior play, and something goes wrong..he and MU can be absolved of any negligence.  As he stated, ultimately the decision probably rests with Junior.

I'm not sure I can read his motivations either way, but you are absolutely correct that he is covering his bases with everyone to make sure they are comfortable.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »
Just want to play some devils advocate...with the topic of team chemistry...I worry if he decides to play how it will affect Acker and Cubby. If his minutes cut dramatically into both of theirs...could their confidence drop? Effort? We need their 3 pt ability this season (and their assist/TO ratio). Buzz has asked them to step up BIG this year and they responded...where is the motivation as a senior to step up with the same enthusiasm for 10-12 less minutes when you were averaging mid to upper 20s?

Just some food for thought.

However, if Junior ends up coming in and being a significant threat for us and really breaking down some defenses...sure that would help us more...I just don't see it happening though. I was looking forward to next year when buzz could hand the ball to junior and say "this is your team"  Not really something he can do at this point in the season...

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »

I don't think you can tell either.  I personally would think he would want JC to play.  He has a thin bench and IF he truly believes that JC would bring one or two wins, then he wants him to play.  One or two wins could be the difference between a tourney appearance and NIT.  I think no one should be worried on this board.  I HIGHLY DOUBT Buzz would be considering this move if he saw the kid hobbling around on the court or struggling.  Buzz said he looks good at practice and if the kid wants to play, game on.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
I think Buzz is a true competitor and wants to "win now".  He is not thinking of exceeding expectations this year by finishing 11th instead of 12th.  I think they he thinks they can beat anybody (and isn't that what we want him to think).
He's dying to play Junior now.  I think what he is praying this that his own desire to win now doesn't influence the people who together have to make this decision and lead them to go in a direction that ultimately hurts Junior or the team.
That said after reading this I'd be surprised if he doesn't play.
While Buzz has been incredibly unlucky with all the injuries in his first two years this would make for the second miracle recover, DJ being the first.

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
MU is down to eight healthy scholarship players and suddenly JC is ready to play after sustaining a purported season-ending injury?  Can anyone say "Trevor Mbakwe?"  

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »
MU is down to eight healthy scholarship players and suddenly JC is ready to play after sustaining a purported season-ending injury?  Can anyone say "Trevor Mbakwe?"  

Trevor Mbakwe. 

Booggitty Booggiitty Booogggiitty.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »

I can say it.  I don't know how it is relevant, but I can say it.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »
I think there is waaaaay too much comparison to Mbakwe going on around here. Different team, different coach, different player, different situation.

From what I understand, Trevor was unhappy at MU during his year here, and in the back of his own mind, he wanted to play in an effort to transfer. Knowing what we do now, TC might have seen the writing on the wall, and figured it would be good to squeeze some PT out of Trevor before he left, since he wanted to play anyway.

By all accounts, Junior is happy at MU, and excited for a full career with the Warriors (granted, we don't know as much as we think, but there's really nothing out there to indicate otherwise).

Putting myself in Junior's shoes, you've just been cleared to play, your team is exceeding expectations and making a legitimate run at an NCAA bid. The rationale for wanting to play isn't sinister at all, you want to contribute and help reach that goal in any way you can.

Now, putting myself in Buzz' shoes, your blue chip recruit for the season has rehabbed well ahead of schedule, and has been cleared to play in mid-January when he was expected to be lost for the entire year. I would think, especially with the depleted roster, any help you can get would be great, especially said blue chip recruit.

I really don't think that there are any lines to read between here. The kid can play, wants to play (wouldn't you?), so he'll play.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »
I think there is waaaaay too much comparison to Mbakwe going on around here. Different team, different coach, different player, different situation.

From what I understand, Trevor was unhappy at MU during his year here, and in the back of his own mind, he wanted to play in an effort to transfer. Knowing what we do now, TC might have seen the writing on the wall, and figured it would be good to squeeze some PT out of Trevor before he left, since he wanted to play anyway.

By all accounts, Junior is happy at MU, and excited for a full career with the Warriors (granted, we don't know as much as we think, but there's really nothing out there to indicate otherwise).

Putting myself in Junior's shoes, you've just been cleared to play, your team is exceeding expectations and making a legitimate run at an NCAA bid. The rationale for wanting to play isn't sinister at all, you want to contribute and help reach that goal in any way you can.

Now, putting myself in Buzz' shoes, your blue chip recruit for the season has rehabbed well ahead of schedule, and has been cleared to play in mid-January when he was expected to be lost for the entire year. I would think, especially with the depleted roster, any help you can get would be great, especially said blue chip recruit.

I really don't think that there are any lines to read between here. The kid can play, wants to play (wouldn't you?), so he'll play.

Honestly... reading this situation any differently is reading too much into the situation.  The kid will play, and if there is a blow out tonight... we will see him tonight.

Is anyone else excited to see this kid play.... HONESTLY, when has Buzz spoken highly about a player and it not be the case.  Buzz is saying this kid will help us win.  I think he has seen some things that has impressed him and Buzz seems tough to impress.  I'll be watching tonight.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:33:06 AM by ErickJD08 »
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
MU and Buzz have a recent history of getting players back ahead of schedule.  I don't know if that says something about our doctors, PT team or players but, if buzz thinks he can help win a game and is already letting him practice then he'll play him.  I'd lay money on him being back in the next two games.  We need some more dribble drive action against cuse.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
I'm excited to see him this year as well. If we can get 10-15 minutes out of him even in his first couple of games that would be great. But obviously he wants to play or else Buzz and his staff wouldn't be going through all of the steps they are. Even though I haven't seen him play from what I've heard I think making the tourney is becoming more realistic.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
HONESTLY, when has Buzz spoken highly about a player and it not be the case.  Buzz is saying this kid will help us win.  I think he has seen some things that has impressed him and Buzz seems tough to impress.  I'll be watching tonight.

Roseboro?  I think Buzz called him the "hidden gem of the recruiting class." 

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
MU and Buzz have a recent history of getting players back ahead of schedule.  I don't know if that says something about our doctors, PT team or players but, if buzz thinks he can help win a game and is already letting him practice then he'll play him.  I'd lay money on him being back in the next two games.  We need some more dribble drive action against cuse.

The staff is an enigma. Players drop like flies, yet come back sooner than anticipated...

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »
Roseboro?  I think Buzz called him the "hidden gem of the recruiting class." 

That's before he actually got on the court and played with the team.  I have heard Buzz say some players are not ready to play.  

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »
yeah i hear that.  but you didn't ask that.  you just asked "HONESTLY, when has Buzz spoken highly about a player and it not be the case."  That would be one instance.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
The staff is an enigma. Players drop like flies, yet come back sooner than anticipated...

I don't know if it's so much of an enigma as it is deliberately over-estimating recovery time.  Yes, it sucks to have so many players get injured, but I think the medical staff is of the mindset of "plan for the worst, hope for the best" when it comes to determining the amount of time a player will be out.  I would bet that with Junior, it was known back in September that he might be back by February, but to play it safe, they simply called it "season-ending."

Think about the psychological ramifications alone... if I'm a 19yo student-athlete in a new environment, sitting on the sidelines after 5 months when my doctor was optimistic and said I'd be back in 4, that would be a lot more to handle emotionally than being originally told I was out 7 months but now finding I'm ready to go in 5.

That being said, my guess is that Mbao is back on the court vs. USF.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »
I don't know if it's so much of an enigma as it is deliberately over-estimating recovery time.  Yes, it sucks to have so many players get injured, but I think the medical staff is of the mindset of "plan for the worst, hope for the best" when it comes to determining the amount of time a player will be out.  I would bet that with Junior, it was known back in September that he might be back by February, but to play it safe, they simply called it "season-ending."

Think about the psychological ramifications alone... if I'm a 19yo student-athlete in a new environment, sitting on the sidelines after 5 months when my doctor was optimistic and said I'd be back in 4, that would be a lot more to handle emotionally than being originally told I was out 7 months but now finding I'm ready to go in 5.

Yeah, now that i'm looking at it you may be right.  When did the rupture occure?  I see one web site that says 12 weeks and another that says 6 months at the most.

feedback